Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,904 times

Advertisements

Im going to be moving back to Pittsburgh in the fall from Columbus.

I'm going to be finishing my master's degree at Robert Morris University and working at Consol Energy Center downtown. I'm trying to find a place to live where I could reasonably commute to both. Safety and commute times are my two biggest concerns.

Areas people have recommended to me so far:

Troy Hill
Greentree
Crafton
Robinson

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Just a general thought: depending on how often you are going each way and at what times, it may make sense to live closer to Downtown and leave the longer commute for Moon. Commuting into Downtown can be a real problem at certain times, and conversely the reverse-commute to Moon may not be so bad (again depending on timing).

Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,190 times
How often are you going to be at both?

Are you a full-time student at RMU? Night classes? Day classes?

Are you going to be working full time at CEC or just for events (like Pens game, concerts, etc.)

Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Beechview
Dormont

both have public transporation called the T (trolley)- you could take it back and forth to Consol. Then hop in the car for the trip out to Moon.

or maybe:

Lower Hill
Southside

Walk to work and drive out to Moon.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
How often are you going to be at both?

Are you a full-time student at RMU? Night classes? Day classes?

Are you going to be working full time at CEC or just for events (like Pens game, concerts, etc.)
Full time day classes at RMU. Only attending Pens games (My job is media-related)

Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Actually, I'm thinking Bellevue, Ben Avon, Emsworth, Sewickley, anything along the Ohio River there. Why? Think of where Robert Morris is, towards the lower end of University Blvd, closer to the river than to the airport grounds. Sewickley Bridge makes an easy commute to school from that side. Would be pretty easy to choose a spot where you'd have about a 15 minute commute to either place (or you could favor one over the other). In fact, even if you lived Downtown or beyond I think I would suggest getting to RMU on Rt 65 and the Sewickley Bridge rather than the parkway.

If you want something to do near home without driving, most of the Ohio River towns are not that appealing, though. Bellevue is dry (if that matters). Ben Avon and Emsworth have almost no businesses. Sewickley is kind of a stuffy town. Etc. But you could just as easily live Downtown, the Strip, Mt Washington, South Side, whatever.

I would NOT suggest any of those places that would necessitate a trip through the Ft Pitt Tunnel before and after a Pens game, because it backs up a lot. This rules out Green Tree and Robinson. (I don't think those places offer anything more over the ones on the Ohio River anyway; you still gotta drive everywhere.) Beechview and Dormont, less of an issue, but still not ideal IMO. Harder to get to RMU from there. I'm wondering if the T operates late enough sometimes if the game runs over, etc. It's not a bad thought, but it's still not that convenient to RMU, which is probably where you go more often.

Troy Hill is a funny one given the rest of your original list but it's no worse location-wise than the others I guess. Pretty close to the arena, take 65 out to RMU. May trigger your safety meter more than some others, not sure.

Rt 65 outbound in the morning and inbound in the evening would be a reverse commute with not too much traffic in those directions.

I don't know how familiar you are with the neighborhoods. If you have an idea of what sort of place you want, what sort of surrounding area (suburban or urban) and how much rent (I assume rent?) that might help narrow down a bit.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:44 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Check out Stowe Township. It's a quiet (although a bit run-down in spots) neighborhood right in between both areas. Housing is incredibly cheap there.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 AM

109 posts, read 141,904 times
Are you looking for an apartment or house? Waterford Landing apartment complex in Moon is fantastic and very convenient to RMU. You will hit traffic going into the city, but it's not too bad

Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,247 times
I lived in Robinson for 5 years and had multiple ways to avoid Ft Pitt. I worked at AGH and initally worked on the South Side near the Birmingham Bridge and went to evening hospital rotations at various UPMC locations -Shadyside and Presby. I rarely went the Parkway. It would be a parking lot in both directions in the evening.

We could get home from Steelers games in 15-20 mins. You can cut down 60 thru Crafton, back ways thru the Rocks or Stowe Twp over to the Ohio River Blvd. You can drive thru Crafton Heights and go thru the Corliss tunnel over to W Carson/51 and cross over the various bridges. Rarely sat in traffic because at night most of the people were leaving the city- it was great!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Check out Stowe Township. It's a quiet (although a bit run-down in spots) neighborhood right in between both areas. Housing is incredibly cheap there.
How is it safety-wise? I notice it has a close proximity to McKee's Rocks, which I've been told by many to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh