Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times

Advertisements

The roof of USX is also the highest artificial acre in the world (meaning while many other buildings are taller, none have a flat roof of that size that high up). That has led to the proposal for a High Point Park on top, which was the subject of a design competition at CMU earlier this year, and which is moving into the next phase this fall (working out a viable design, business, and operational plan):

https://www.heinz.cmu.edu/systems/216.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,099,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The roof of USX is also the highest artificial acre in the world (meaning while many other buildings are taller, none have a flat roof of that size that high up). That has led to the proposal for a High Point Park on top, which was the subject of a design competition at CMU earlier this year, and which is moving into the next phase this fall (working out a viable design, business, and operational plan):

That would be nice. I've always wished that Pittsburgh would have some overlook from one of the tops of our buildings. Adding a park to the top of the USX also wouldn't hurt our green image.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
It's Koppers, and they have nothing to do with copper. As I recall their big business has to do with coke (not cola or drugs but the stuff made from coal and used in the steel industry among other things).

Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
That would be nice. I've always wished that Pittsburgh would have some overlook from one of the tops of our buildings. Adding a park to the top of the USX also wouldn't hurt our green image.
There was a website (I believe it was CMU) that was posted here a while ago that featured an interactive observation viewer from the top of USX, the neat thing is that you can see all the way out into Ohio and West Virginia and into the far hills of the Laurel Mountains in eastern Westmoreland and Somerset County. It even had details like places you can see from the top, eg West End Bridge, Shippingport Nuclear Plant in Beaver County, etc. Likewise, you can see USX and the Mellon tower from the top of the ridges from a distant 50 miles away as the crow flies. At night, it looks like two bright stars out in the distance.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 08-12-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 PM

It is a shame, though, that the Gulf Building isn't made out of plastic.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
It is a shame, though, that the Gulf Building isn't made out of plastic.

Pretty amazing that the Gulf Building was the tallest in town until the US Steel Building was built. That's almost 40 years (although I guess the same thing happened in NY and maybe some other places as well). Some years ago I saw some pictures of the Koppers Building taken from across the street before the Gulf Building was built. I don't know why the spot was empty, though. Perhaps it had already been cleared in anticipation of the construction.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 PM

I've always wondered if Three Mellon was deliberately built shorter than the Gulf Building.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
Default High Point Park Investigation

Quote:

I am conducting this systems synthesis project at Heinz College this fall. Anyone who is interested in this idea can visit High Point Park. Be sure also to check out the Pittsburgh Gigapanorama there.
Attached Thumbnails
Mellon Center going Bronze-pittsburgh-gigapan1.jpg  

Old 08-13-2010, 01:14 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,404,881 times
Quote:

That is a great project. I would love to see it come to life. I work in the Tower and I would love to head up to that park during my lunch or take out of town visitors.

I like how the building's shape mimics the golden triangle.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Here is a cool concept for the park that would actually recreate a scale version of the confluence:

http://highpointpark.org/submissions...29-group_1.pdf

Probably a little too literal, but I liked it. My favorite, however, was this one:

http://highpointpark.org/submissions.../41-Group6.pdf

Very simple, but I think it would be an amazing space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh