Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM25 View Post
Except the Arizona law does NOT permit racial profiling. Read the law. Police cannot not stop someone solely baed on their immigration status. It's mind numbing how people still don't know the law.
So then, how do you enforce it? "Papers please?"

Old 08-12-2010, 07:41 AM

362 posts, read 918,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Thanks for posting; you are correct. Too many other knee jerk reactors scream racial profiling without actually bothering to learn the details.
Well said and CORRECT. There are WAY TOO many folks running around today just itching to throw out the "R-Word".

Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 AM

142 posts, read 365,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So then, how do you enforce it? "Papers please?"
That's the problem. The law is actually very soft -- it makes it almost impossible to enforce. They would enforce it in the event that someone is stopped for another offense -- not simply because they look hispanic driving by or are walking down the street. They would have to be stopped for another crime or infraction, much like cops around here, I believe, cannot stop someone simply because it appears they aren't buckled in.

If they ask everyone for papers -- great. If they ask every other person for papers -- great. We have laws against illegal immigration from every nation, but why would they ask someone from Russia if they are here legally when they border the country of Mexico? It's simple common sense and geography. You can claim profiling all day but it's just a matter of fact.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Whether or not the law encourages racial profiling isn't a cut-and-dried issue. You can be arrested and detained by the Arizona police if they have a "reasonable suspicion" you are an unlawful alien and you don't have proof of lawful status on you (and note that many out-of-state driver's licenses would not count as proof under Arizona's law). The law also instructs that they aren't supposed to use race, color, or national origin in enforcing these provisions, but the standard in question is so vague that it will be very easy for the police to come up with some other basis for their alleged suspicion.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
They would have to be stopped for another crime or infraction
Correct, but the standards for a mere stop are very low, and you can be stopped under Arizona law for trivial non-criminal violations like jaywalking, failing to have a dog on a leash, riding a bicycle on the sidewalk, and so on.

Quote:
We have laws against illegal immigration from every nation, but why would they ask someone from Russia if they are here legally when they border the country of Mexico? It's simple common sense and geography. You can claim profiling all day but it's just a matter of fact.
Ironically, the law actually forbids using national origin as well. I think you are correct, though, that they would likely do it anyway, then come up with some other rationalization if pressed.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 AM

475 posts, read 570,827 times
Quote:

If they ask everyone for papers -- great.
I think you've confused "great" for "Horrendous, unconstitutional, and fascist."

Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 AM

142 posts, read 365,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
I think you've confused "great" for "Horrendous, unconstitutional, and fascist."
I was being sarcastic and a bit facetious. I was just illustrating how it's impossible to avoid "racial profiling" unless they ask everyone for their documents.

How else are they supposed to enforce the law? We're asked for ID all the time -- grocery store, voting, library, etc.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
And I think we're done here.
The police cannot ask you for squat to prove citizenship. Plus, a drivers license or ID alone is not proof of citizenship. I don't see how anyone can be pro-illegal immigration, but these type of laws are unenforceable without racial profiling, and/or egregiously violating someone's Constitutional rights.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 AM

475 posts, read 570,827 times
The government doesn't run the grocery store, voting is limited to one vote per person and ID is one way to ensure that nobody double-dips, the library is a place where an individual voluntarily signs a contract for services and needs to be held accountable...

Yeah, I'm not sure you get this whole thing.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 AM

If you really want to enforce immigration laws in relation to people coming here for economic reasons, you have to systematically target employers, not try to catch unlawful aliens when they are out riding their bikes or walking their dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh