Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What on earth is your damage?
I don't understand what you are asking? Damage where????

Last edited by zip95; 06-28-2007 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Seriously Drover.....Is it like buying something and I ask the clerk, "whats the damage?" Or is it like, "what's your problem?"

Old 06-29-2007, 04:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I'm guessing here. I think he's wondering why you think people are upset by your posts. In other words, he might not have read the thread and realized that someone was upset by you. He might have just read your second-to-last post where you were tantruming about people being so sensitive. And he wondered where the damage was because he didn't realize that 5stones left the site. Again, that's just a guess.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 PM

Oh.....thanks Elder.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:04 PM

487 posts, read 1,379,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
Actually it's easy to end up in Homewood leaving Kennywood. If you go straight instead of turning left at that wacky intersection near the Arby's, you wind up on Frankstown Avenue. I did it once myself.

This is only applicable to people heading toward the East End of course.
That is a wacky intersection, though getting from there to Homewood would seem to require a lot of work.

And Elder, I admit that I too have had the odd desire to see what those neighborhoods are like ... (although I am too much of a wuss to actually do it). Not because I gain any sick amusement from it, but because it is interesting to see how people different from me live their lives - and it's something that (thankfully) I am not exposed to regularly.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:42 PM

121 posts, read 367,676 times
I had no trouble getting from there to Homewood. Can't describe exactly what I did, since it was years ago, but I basically just kept going and found myself in Homewood. Luckily I knew my way home from there

Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM

255 posts, read 1,093,711 times
Lightbulb Response

No, my friend, it is you who are the idiot.

First of all, I never mentioned putting any of my "loved ones" in harms way.

Second of all, if you bothered to read the whole thread than you'd see that I have a perfectly valid academic interest in looking around the "ghetto."

It's not some voyueristic thrill I want. I don't think you can really understand other people until you see how they live.

I'm very aware of the crime stats in Pittsburgh. Honestly, I've found the supposedly seedy parts of town I've been in to be rather tame.
I did hear gunshots in East Liberty, buy I suspect they were from Homewood when the shooting at the kiddie football game took place.

All of that being said, I have no plans to go traipsing through Homewood on a Saturday night. Curious, yes. Wanting to get mugged? No thanks.

Before you start hurling insults, I suggest you find out what you're talking about.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 60,123 times
I'm sorry, but, bboy36win, saying that you're also interested in what you're "thankfully" not exposed to regularly comes across as a little insensitive. But Elder, the curiosity about something possibly so different from what you've experienced is totally understandable. I'm originally from out West, and my past cities don't have as rich a history. So, I often wish I could have seen the city back in its horse and carriage days, or some of these old neighborhoods back in their former glory.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Let's see: so far today, we've learned that to want to occasionally be exposed to the seedy side of life makes one an idiot; to be thankful that one is not exposed to it every day makes one insensitive. You just can't win when the perpetually affronted are lurking about. Seriously, why shouldn't someone be thankful to not have to live among human misery every day?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,444 times
I'm still learning about Pittsburgh, so I have a question or two...

Homewood, as I see on the map, is a neighborhood near the eastern border of Pittsburgh. Why is that particular neighborhood so bad when presumably older neighborhoods lie to the east and are apparently better ones? And is that the absolute worst neighborhood in Pittsburgh? What kind of housing is in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh