Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 PM

457 posts, read 431,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
I can understand your anger. Its severity is at times "troubling", but nevertheless, I can understand where it comes from...It truly must be a burden to feel so helpless. I don't know your personal situation, but in generally, a person usually has to feel pretty powerless and stuck in order to blame naturaly disaster victims.

These are the times in your life where you have to dig deep, and I encourage you to do so. You have to stop blaming the Gov't and take control of your own poor situation. The Gov't is not going to send all the immigrants back to Mexico, nor will they send the natural disaster victims back to Orleans. Get a handle on your own life and your own affairs...get out there and be somebody...change your own circumstances!!!

PS

I forgive you for saying my wife and children would be better off if I got hit by a bus.

I haven't sought your forgiveness, nor do I want it. You have already insulted myself and the rest of the Gay community quite enough, thank you. Kind of sad for a person of color to feel the need to try and find someone they view as "less than" or "perverted" just to make themselves feel less discriminated against.

I stand by my former statements to you: You are a bigot and it's simply not possible for me to care less than I already do about what you have to say about anything.

PS: In case you were wondering: A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 03:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I haven't sought your forgiveness, nor do I want it. You have already insulted myself and the rest of the Gay community quite enough, thank you. Kind of sad for a person of color to feel the need to try and find someone they view as "less than" or "perverted" just to make themselves feel less discriminated against.

I stand by my former statements to you: You are a bigot and it's simply not possible for me to care less than I already do about what you have to say about anything.

PS: In case you were wondering: A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.
I'm sorry you feel that way...

Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM

206 posts, read 688,614 times
I have to say I find this thread pretty funny. I have lived here many years and maybe I'm just inured to "bad" neighborhoods, but I have rarely been anywhere in Pittsburgh, even at night, where I felt unsafe in my car. The only places that come to mind are Braddock and some back streets on the South Side slopes a few years back. While I am sure there are back streets and projects one probably ought to steer clear of at night, I would drive down any major road in the area without fear.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 8,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggis13 View Post
I've driven through other "shady" areas of Pittsburgh (East Lib., parts of the Hill, Garfield on Penn. Ave), but none of them made me feel as threatened the way I did in Homewood.
So East Liberty is a bad neighborhood to be in? I ask because it was suggested as one of the neighborhoods that my husband and I might think about opening a vegetarian restaurant/cafe in.

How "shady" is it?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:11 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
I believe that East Liberty was once quite shady, but now there has been significant investment in the area and now it is seen as more of an "up-and-coming" area than a "shady" one. But I don't live in Pittsburgh, so you'll have to get the input of a local...

Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
The southern portion of East Liberty has seen a lot of investment. That's where a veggie joint might do well, because your market would mostly be Shadyside and Friendship residents. The portion of East Liberty north of Penn Circle still had a ways to go last I laid eyes on it just over a year ago. Maybe things have changed since then, but I doubt it has changed significantly in that time.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristynjosh View Post
So East Liberty is a bad neighborhood to be in? I ask because it was suggested as one of the neighborhoods that my husband and I might think about opening a vegetarian restaurant/cafe in.

How "shady" is it?
I would not consider opening a restaurant there. Even if it were indeed safe, the majority of Pittsburghers are not likely to venture there to eat, especially at night.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I would not consider opening a restaurant there. Even if it were indeed safe, the majority of Pittsburghers are not likely to venture there to eat, especially at night.
You don't need a majority of them, just enough to do good business. And I wonder if you've been to East Liberty lately. There is a vibrant and growing nightlife in southern East Liberty. Sharp Edge has been there seemingly forever; Shadow Lounge (local indie/rap/soul/R&B/funk venue); Kelly's Lounge; Red Room Cafe; Royal Carribean restaurant, etc. And as the development goes forward, there are only going to be more such places.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You don't need a majority of them, just enough to do good business. And I wonder if you've been to East Liberty lately. There is a vibrant and growing nightlife in southern East Liberty. Sharp Edge has been there seemingly forever; Shadow Lounge (local indie/rap/soul/R&B/funk venue); Kelly's Lounge; Red Room Cafe; Royal Carribean restaurant, etc. And as the development goes forward, there are only going to be more such places.

I have not. That is wonderful news to hear, however. Even the "bad" parts had some very architecturally beautiful buildings. I imagine that there are whole new areas to explore when I get home!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
There is a vibrant and growing nightlife in southern East Liberty. Sharp Edge has been there seemingly forever; Shadow Lounge (local indie/rap/soul/R&B/funk venue); Kelly's Lounge; Red Room Cafe; Royal Carribean restaurant, etc. And as the development goes forward, there are only going to be more such places.
Quite shocking PApisces, but he's right. Some parts of E.Lib are really being renovated and there is a lot of investment going on. It truly is becoming an up-and-coming place and not a bad idea for a veggie restaurant. I didn't believe it for myself until I saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh