Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,336,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Guess Pittsburgh is changing for the worse. Years ago that couldn't happen around these regions. No way would anyone allow it. Pittsburgh people would jump in and kick butt. I don't understand what happened to that? Maybe everyone is too scared to take care of that. Hope that is tried in front of me someday. They will be in for a rude awakening. Goodness that is some young girl!!!
Everyone is afraid of getting sued has to be a good part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,809,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
No way would anyone allow it. Pittsburgh people would jump in and kick butt!
Perhaps... but this took place at the Monroeville Mall. These were soft suburbanites looking on.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,977 times
That's why it would not a bad idea to carry a taser once in a while, if I saw someone attacking a young girl I would have that shoplifter tased in a heartbeat. If they want to file charges, so be it. I'd rather be charged for helping the girl than be negatively criticized for not doing anything.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Perhaps... but this took place at the Monroeville Mall. These were soft suburbanites looking on.

That's pretty funny, did you interview all the bystanders personally to obtain that information?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,998,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
That solves 99.9% of the problem. It's a certain type of person who can't afford a car.
The primary source of transportation to all the malls in Ottawa is by bus (or light rail in one or two cases). The biggest mall, you'd be inconvenienced trying to take a car there due to lack of parking and awful downtown traffic. And yet there isn't exactly a serious problem with this sort of thing happening, certainly the malls aren't having to say "we don't want bus service here anymore." So no, that doesn't solve 99.9% of the problem, unless you're looking at it in a very shallow way. The crime is just moved elsewhere, it's a question of solving why the crime even exists to this degree.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
I used to work at Aeropostale and they actually train you NOT to approach or physically stop someone from shoplifting, only to report it. This is because of the potential dangers that may arise from the situation.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Who the hell stands around & watches someone beat up
a young girl
Someone who has no idea the context of the confrontation, or who to stand up for, or who to villify, or whose behalf to act on. It's easy to be an armchair hero after the fact when you have the details of the story, but I'm willing to bet most such heroes in this thread would have stood around just as bewildered as the rest of the crowd had they been there at the time.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,485,944 times
Agreed with Drover. Put yourself in the situation of an innocent "suburbanite" shopping at Monroeville Mall at that time. You walk out of a store, and you see 2 girls fighting in the mall. One obviously winning. But how do you know the situation? Did you know that it was an incident of theft and assault or could it have been that these 2 girls knew each other and one happened to be at work when they decided it was time to fight over something that happened in their personal lives? YOU DON'T KNOW. Not everybody was following the situation around like a reality TV show. Maybe even this girl's co-workers didn't know that she pursued a shop-lifter outside of the store. alleghenyangel is correct...most store policies prohibit sales associates from handling these situations. You're supposed to contact mall security.

Not that this makes anything right or wrong...but lessons can be learned from all sides: the bystander, the sales associate, and the assaulting thief.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
I would never go after a shoplifter, I'll pass.

When I used to work at a grocery store people would steal steaks and walk out with them under their shirts. My boss would tackle them in the parking lot and put a knee in their back until the police came. Then again he was ex-military so it wasn't quite out of character. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
When I used to work at a grocery store people would steal steaks and walk out with them under their shirts. My boss would tackle them in the parking lot and put a knee in their back until the police came. Then again he was ex-military so it wasn't quite out of character. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Too bad that guy couldn't have been there at the time, he would've probably had that shoplifter pinned to the ground until security or police arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh