Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
That chance you are willing to take could change someone’s life situation into a death situation because the person was not able to handle the situation. It could also change someone’s death situation into a life situation.

Maybe we should have random violence shooter training and testing before you get a permit to carry. You have to take a test before you can drive a car, so why not before you can carry a gun in public.
You should bring that up to the proper authorities. There are many issues that are brought up all over C-D that could be addressed to the proper authorities rather than just complaining about them.

Last edited by erieguy; 02-09-2015 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 06:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yes, we must live in a police state! We must be safe! We must have police all over the place with machine guns! They need to shoot to kill as soon as there is any issues. Safety is the highest priority! Metal detectors upon entry. Frisking is allowed randomly to ensure the safety of all the happy shoppers. Strip search is another option! Of course privacy will be ensured, so you can gleefully shop in a safe environment!

... says the guy who will gladly let the government tell him and everyone else what sort of cars they must drive.

You sure are skilled in the art of nuance. Is your world really so black and white that the only choices are lax security standards and one where police shoot to kill "as soon as there are any issues" and "strip search is another option?" Are you simply unaware of the vast possibilities in between?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I can just imagine what would have happened if bystanders who were "packing" had drawn their guns and started shooting back Saturday night. The carnage among innocent victims would have been incredible. It's a nice idea in theory, but a disaster in practice.
Yeah, no kidding. Gun people just have them to show off to each other. Look what I have, look what I have. They will never use them for the most part and many times if they actually do, they end up dead or in jail.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
... says the guy who will gladly let the government tell him and everyone else what sort of cars they must drive.

You sure are skilled in the art of nuance. Is your world really so black and white that the only choices are lax security standards and one where police shoot to kill "as soon as there are any issues" and "strip search is another option?" Are you simply unaware of the vast possibilities in between?
Seems you are living under a rock. The only reason cars get such good fuel economy now is because the government put laws in place to make that happen. Sometimes governments can make a positive difference and I was of course correct. It has nothing to do with what people choose to drive, but how efficient vehicles are. I don't think you would get it.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Seems you are living under a rock. The only reason cars get such good fuel economy now is because the government put laws in place to make that happen. Sometimes governments can make a positive difference and I was of course correct. It has nothing to do with what people choose to drive, but how efficient vehicles are. I don't think you would get it.
No, I get it. I get that when government compels certain choices, it creates unintended costs and consequences elsewhere. Do you think it's a coincidence that the cost of new cars is skyrocketing? How much do you think insurance premiums are going to increase because of the more expensive materials used in the lightweighting process? Or how about the completely backward economic thought process that believes you will reduce the consumption of a particular commodity (fuel) by making it cheaper to use (more miles traveled per unit of fuel)? Has our gasoline consumption decreased relative to our economic output. or are people just driving more because they can go further on a tank of fuel? What about the impact on land use that results from aiding more sprawl by making it cheaper at the pump to drive long distances? Have you engaged in anything deeper than first-level thinking on this issue?

You can't enforce this utterly irrational CAFE edict without increasing the power of government to make consumer decisions for you. So either embrace the police state you advocate, or stop selectively advocating it.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, I get it. I get that when government compels certain choices, it creates unintended costs and consequences elsewhere. Do you think it's a coincidence that the cost of new cars is skyrocketing? How much do you think insurance premiums are going to increase because of the more expensive materials used in the lightweighting process? Or how about the completely backward economic thought process that believes you will reduce the consumption of a particular commodity (fuel) by making it cheaper to use (more miles traveled per unit of fuel)? Has our gasoline consumption decreased relative to our economic output. or are people just driving more because they can go further on a tank of fuel? What about the impact on land use that results from aiding more sprawl by making it cheaper at the pump to drive long distances? Have you engaged in anything deeper than first-level thinking on this issue?

You can't enforce this utterly irrational CAFE edict without increasing the power of government to make consumer decisions for you. So either embrace the police state you advocate, or stop selectively advocating it.
We aren't going to understand each other. You also don't take into consideration how much less young college grads drive compared to a couple of decades ago. Also, why don't you go by a nice 1970 Buick and enjoy your life. I think i will stick to a modern car that will drive well over 100K miles with no issues. Good luck with your Buick.

This is too silly to discuss really. I am for progression, you want things to stay the same. We have very little in common.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Just like media influenced American sheep, people will once again focus on the gun and not the fact that quality of life in society has been steadily dropping for decades. Guns have been at the fabric of American culture since its inception and yet gun violence has only been a problem in the last 50 years. Not surprising since in the last 50 years educational quality has decreased, income inequality has grown to historic levels, real wages have not increased in 40 years, the government imprisons more people per capita than any nation on Earth, and opportunities for Americans to have an "ideal" life dry up more each year.

Keep focusing on the gun though and voluntarily throw away what little rights you still have left.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Just like media influenced American sheep, people will once again focus on the gun and not the fact that quality of life in society has been steadily dropping for decades. Guns have been at the fabric of American culture since its inception and yet gun violence has only been a problem in the last 50 years. Not surprising since in the last 50 years educational quality has decreased, income inequality has grown to historic levels, real wages have not increased in 40 years, the government imprisons more people per capita than any nation on Earth, and opportunities for Americans to have an "ideal" life dry up more each year.

Keep focusing on the gun though and voluntarily throw away what little rights you still have left.
FWIW, I've looked at the historic statistics, and gun violence was actually a much, much bigger problem in the past than it is today overall. It wasn't as big of an issue in the black community, but it was much more common among white Americans, to the point that around 1900 there was near parity in terms of crime rates among whites and blacks in the U.S.

I am actually not someone in favor of strict gun control, although I do think it's crazy we regulate driving more stringently than gun ownership. But I think the idea that personal ownership of guns actually makes us safer is 100% crazy. It's not backed up by any statistical evidence, either in the contemporary U.S., internationally, or historically. AFAIK, there isn't one case in U.S. where an armed "hero" has stopped a spree killer while they were actively shooting. If you want to carry around a handgun everywhere you go, fine. But it's just a fetish talisman, it's probably not going to save your life.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:04 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

I agree....sort of. I think its the better things we have that drive this. In other words, people committing gun violence are spoiled with WANT of power and money.

Education? The mall shooter wasn't mad because his organic chem grade will ruin his 4.0. It's about personal comfort - drugs, money, and power, with a loss of pride in what you can offer, instead of what you can TAKE.

My view, anyway.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
We aren't going to understand each other. You also don't take into consideration how much less young college grads drive compared to a couple of decades ago. Also, why don't you go by a nice 1970 Buick and enjoy your life. I think i will stick to a modern car that will drive well over 100K miles with no issues. Good luck with your Buick.

This is too silly to discuss really. I am for progression, you want things to stay the same. We have very little in common.
Where do you find all the hay to construct the straw-men you set up and beat down so furiously? How miniscule is your awareness of the world around you that you can only envision extremes where the only choices are lax security at a mall or a police state, or a modern car versus a 1970 Buick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh