Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,624,193 times

Advertisements

yeah, in nyc having a car makes life harder in a lot of ways; i actually turned down a free car when i lived there because it wasn't worth the trouble and expense. in pittsburgh having a car definitely makes life easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:45 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,695,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
As my supervisor said to me on Tuesday when I told him that I had a 2 1/2 hour commute each way every day and begged to be put on day shift - I feel for you.

Basically what that all boils down to is - it sucks to be you.

A wise man once told me that a flower has to bloom where it is planted.
I'm not sure how much money you made at your last job, but I highly doubt if it was enough that you can afford to live in unemployment.

If you look at the Sunday paper the government said that things are getting worse and the government is planning to cut the prime rate for lending again - hence the people who has their money in their savings account will not get any interest soon - and just like Jed on the Beverly Hillbillies - said - they are keeping my money for me and they ain't even charging me anything to do it.

The fact of the matter is that it is rough all over and if you are looking for a iron clad 100% guarantee that you could just move her tomorrow and be offered a job in a couple of days - we can't do that. All we can do is tell you that if you are a real go getter - you might find something. It might not pay a livable wage - but you might make enough to stay alive - while something better comes along.

A smart young punk kid in the Walmart asked me if I needed any help in the computer isle and I got smart right back and told him yep - paying for it. He moved from Richmond VA from a store down there and wasn't adjusted to our way of life yet. I told him to get rid of the earing and he would be just fine.

Sometimes you got to start at the bottom before you can move up and the disparity of pay scale between what you are making there and what you would make here - wouldn't put you in much of a better position financially then where you already are.

Couple that to the fact that if you don't have a car, you are pretty much screwed here. In New York city, many people choose not to have a car because they can rent a taxi as cheap as owning a car and not have the expense of owning it or keeping it up. IN Pennsylvania - you got to have a car to get around.
I'm from Richmond, and I've had no problem adjusting here. It's not like there was any culture shock or anything. Maybe it's because I don't have an earring?

In a perfect world, you'd be embarrassed by what you post on the internet.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,599,647 times
Anybody who calls themselves "honest" are just as honest as a politician or a used car dealer.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:59 PM

194 posts, read 620,838 times
OK, now back to me...

(insert winking emoticon here)

Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
You might check out using Zipcar instead of actually buying a car. If you don't need a car to commute, it can be a lot less expensive.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:56 PM

Yes, I had thought of zipcar.

But really, the car is not even in the top 10 of my concerns; employment is. Transporation will not be a problem.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Yeah, it is really only relevant to the extent that I think if you were looking for a job for a while, you could live without the expense of a car during that time, then see what made sense when you did get a job.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, it is really only relevant to the extent that I think if you were looking for a job for a while, you could live without the expense of a car during that time, then see what made sense when you did get a job.
I have unemployment until January - and even after that, I have enough of a buffer so that I could still be fine for a while. I'm just trying to figure out if moving to P'burgh would be comparable to, say, moving to Buffalo - where getting a job would be a very long shot, indeed.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 PM

There are definitely job openings in Pittsburgh, but also plenty of jobseekers. I don't think the situation is as bad as many places, but I do think you would have to be prepared to be patient.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:10 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,695,406 times
Unless you're an executive, the easiest way to get permanent employment these days is through a temp agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh