Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahran View Post
What about for a Colts fan? any love in Pitt?
Not particularly. (But give me the Colts over the Pats any day.)

I mean, whatever your team, you're going to get mostly good-natured trash talk. There's always the chance of a nasty encounter with some (probably drunk) a-hole, but it should be a pretty small chance.

Now if your team is a division rival, Cincy, Cleveland or even worse than Cleveland these days IMO, Baltimore, those are going to be the hardest. More apt to spur hostility. But, it'll be easy to watch the games where they play the Steelers, I guess. And even then, I mean, I've been to a Steelers-Ravens game, and people get into the game wearing Ravens jerseys, and they come out alive, ya know? Plenty of trash talk, yeah, but just talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:35 PM

94 posts, read 289,610 times
I'm the guy who made the thread that was somewhat related to this.

I lived in Pitt for 2 years, and as a Bengals fans, I didn't receive TOO much harrassment. Honestly, there was more of a "at least you don't root for the Browns/Ravens/Pats" vibe.

They REALLY seem to hate those teams in Pitt. I can understand the Ravens and Pats, but why the Browns? Most years, they are of no threat to the Steelers.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Cleveland and Pittsburgh have been rivals for decades. In fact if the Browns ever get a respectable team again, they will be the Steelers biggest game(s). Only recently did the Ravens become a rival because they are the old Browns (moved to Baltimore from Cleveland) and they compete every year. Baltimore will always be a big rival now, but Cleveland is where it's at...

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM

408 posts, read 991,396 times
Ok, I'll give it up.. I am a Baltimore fan. I may be the first in the Burgh! Who knew what I was getting into marrying a girl from Western PA?

Baltimore has its share of die-hards but there are a lot of people from out of the country who don't know basic American football rules. There's also all the kids who grew up without a football team in town... and of course a lot more people there than here who moved there from other cities.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Oh man you are really in trouble. Definitely best place to watch is your house. If you must see the ratbirds every week, get ready to pony up for your own NFL Sunday Ticket from DirecTV.

Only marginally joking there. Really, while you certainly can go out in public and admit being a Baltimore fan and stuff, the ridicule will likely be endless. And it will be doubly so if you try to watch a Baltimore game at a bar, I suspect. It will mostly be good-natured. A few idiots might take it a bit too seriously and be uninterested in talking with you.

I doubt you're the only Baltimore fan here; it's a big city. Finding the other few though will probably be difficult.

Maybe you can drive to somewhere in Maryland on Sundays? I dunno how far east you'd have to go. I know if you make as far as, eh, somewhere like Hagerstown, there should be plenty of Ravens fans. I dunno if somewhere farther west like Cumberland will have more Ravens or Steelers fans.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 10,682 times
As Pats fans, my boyfriend and I used to go to Damon's in the Waterfront. They had NFL Sunday Ticket, so there were four games on at once (in addition to maybe two more at the bar). Just ask to be seated in front of the tv of the game you want, and you're golden.

Alas, that Damon's has since closed. . .so we're on the hunt again. Your best bet is find a sports bar that has Sunday Ticket and sit by the tv with your team. Bars won't shell out for that package if they don't intend to show a variety of games.

For the record, we both grew up in New England. . .NOT band wagon Pats fans!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 PM

712 posts, read 1,970,348 times
First the answer to the question,
Since they closed Hooters - about the only two places that I know of that might have the games on TV might be Dino's Sports Lounge in Latrobe and The Touchdown Club - which is just up the road a piece along rt 30.

As far as team rivalries goes that all goes back to the 70's I believe when the Browns - or Brownies - as Myron Cope called them, took out Terry Bradshaw with a cheap shot and we lost all chances of winning the Super Bowl that year.

The other rivalry - was America's Team - the Cowboys. Nobody liked the Cowboys.

If you were a 49'rs or Chiefs or the Redskins fan nobody would say a word.

Chicago Bears, the Rams, the Oakland Raiders were not well liked either.

As far as teams goes - nobody cares about the Ravens.

One of the best quarterbacks Pittsburgh ever had, they gave up to the Colts - Johnny Unitas... One of the stupidest things that the Steelers ever did.

You would do really good if you were a Dolphins fan - because Dan Marino was also a Pittsburgh boy done good.

I don't think you could get 10 people to watch a Falcons or a Saints game in Pittsburgh, You would be better off turning the channel and watching Heidi.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM

540 posts, read 867,932 times
The Damon's in Monroeville is still open, although I'm not sure if they have the same TV setup as the Waterfront location had. As I mentioned in another thread, Silky's in Squirrel Hill is known for showing out-of-market games. I don't know where the Hooters the poster above is referring to, but, once again, there is an open location on Rt. 22 in Wilkins Twp/Monroeville.

I also like Dino's, but Latrobe is quite a hike if you are in/near the city.

I spent 14 years living outside the Steelers' market, so I feel the OP's pain in wanting a place to watch his team. My advice is to pony up for the NFL package. That's what I did when we bought our first house in 2000 and I never again had to rely on a bar or restaurant showing my game. The worst situation is when you call a place and they say, "Oh sure, we show all of the games," and you get there and they only have 1 or 2 receivers, so the folks who got there earlier got to pick which games are on.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 PM
lde

53 posts, read 119,352 times
OK, so where do the Panthers fans gather to watch the games? That's the Carolina version, not Pitt. Just kidding.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:49 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lde View Post
OK, so where do the Panthers fans gather to watch the games? That's the Carolina version, not Pitt. Just kidding.
The last I heard, it was under the George Westinghouse Bridge or The Wall Hotel.. One place is just as bad as the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh