Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times

Advertisements

This could be Ben's new gig if he acts up again while out in public!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:59 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
^^^LOL

I can see this being successful for the burgh if

- Solid Marketing, got to sell the product
- they come out fighting and look solid, after 17 consecutive losing season of the Pirates Im sorry the burgh just cannot and will not support more losing....the Pirates have sucked up about all we're willing to take with losing...
- Based on the Steelers season, if the Steelers come off a high season, possibly winning the SB..then their may be a football feaver of such that could extend into the Power's season openiner...

Make no mistake Swann and the other owners sure have their work cut out for them...but with the Pirates owning the summer (that's not a plus) and the Burgh being a solid Sports and Football town this could be somewhat successful..Not on the level of the NFL, arena league as a whole isnt there yet....Again they need to have some awesome marketing to this to even be remotely possible.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times
But hey, anything to fill that wonderful arena during the (mostly) off-season is a huge plus in my book. I took part in the public tour of it last week with my dad and there definitely was a bit of "wow" factor to the place.

However, I'm still stewing about the guy who was talking down of the place as we were leaving in the parking lot. Was saying tripe like "the bathrooms STILL aren't big enough" and "the entrances are all messed up". All I could think was, "are you SURE you just went in the same building as we just did?" My dad and I both agreed that he was just one of those classic eternally pessimistic, always-look-for-the-bad-in-something type of people. That's the only way I could make logical sense of it at least.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
^^^LOL

I can see this being successful for the burgh if

- Solid Marketing, got to sell the product
- they come out fighting and look solid, after 17 consecutive losing season of the Pirates Im sorry the burgh just cannot and will not support more losing....the Pirates have sucked up about all we're willing to take with losing...
- Based on the Steelers season, if the Steelers come off a high season, possibly winning the SB..then their may be a football feaver of such that could extend into the Power's season openiner...

Make no mistake Swann and the other owners sure have their work cut out for them...but with the Pirates owning the summer (that's not a plus) and the Burgh being a solid Sports and Football town this could be somewhat successful..Not on the level of the NFL, arena league as a whole isnt there yet....Again they need to have some awesome marketing to this to even be remotely possible.
The Pirates should fear this move more than anything. Perhaps that is why Connelly was bragging in the PG this morning about how the Pirates were going to spend more next season. The one thing keeping the Pirates afloat is that they still draw well on weekends. If there is now another weekend gig for 8 weeks that can draw away 18k people that will likely cut in to the Pirates ticket numbers. Hopefully it will be enough for Nutting to put the team up for sale(please Mark Cuban, buy the Buccos).

Old 08-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Does anyone remember the Pittsburgh Maulers?

USFL Site- Pittsburgh Maulers

They were part of a new league created in part by Donald Trump. They actually had some decent attendance numbers, but Trump ruined the party by requiring them to play in the fall. The novelty wore off once they were playing at the same time of year as the pros.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Some people get downright irate when something turns out well, thereby challenging their pessimistic worldview.

Of course there are legitimate questions about financing, our priorities when it comes to development and the expenditure of public funds, and so on. But the facility itself, by all reports, is pretty good.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I'll never go to a game, but, anytime you can fill the arena and people can make money, go for it.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
I would go if it's no more than $15 (and by that, I probably really mean $6, especially if food is standard arena pricing). Oh, I'd also have to be reminded by constant marketing.

It's definitely not bad news though.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
I like how they say that "tickets are cheap, starting at $15". Who is going to pay much more than that to watch arena football? Hell, for $15 I should be able to play defensive end.

What do the premium seats go for? $150?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I like how they say that "tickets are cheap, starting at $15". Who is going to pay much more than that to watch arena football? Hell, for $15 I should be able to play defensive end.

What do the premium seats go for? $150?
Pirates it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: