Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,268 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am Dave Evans from Wales and I am trying to trace any of my relatives in Pennsylvania. A relative of mine was John Griffiths who's address in 1936 was Box 16 Homestead, Pa, USA, he was my greatgrandfathers brother and was from South Wales, UK. All the family like me were steel workers, If you have any information, please make contact,
Thank you,
Dave Evans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 05:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Evans View Post
Hello,
I am Dave Evans from Wales and I am trying to trace any of my relatives in Pennsylvania. A relative of mine was John Griffiths who's address in 1936 was Box 16 Homestead, Pa, USA, he was my greatgrandfathers brother and was from South Wales, UK. All the family like me were steel workers, If you have any information, please make contact,
Thank you,
Dave Evans
Surprisingly, it's a fairly rare name----only 13 John Griffiths in Pennsylvania.

You can start off by assuming that the name John was passed down: Intelius.com - White Pages

Or you can call/write all the Griffiths in Pennsylvania.

100 in Pennsylvania: Intelius.com - White Pages

26 in Pittsburgh: Intelius.com - White Pages

That's an amazingly low number to start working with. I'll bet you find someone if you send them all a letter.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:33 AM

Darn, the actual searches didn't show up in the links above, but you can still put in your own info and get the addresses.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 AM

121 posts, read 367,676 times
You might try ancestry.com. You can sign up for a free 3-day trial there and make a family tree. In the process of doing that you will be linked to any info the website has (census, military records) about people you put in the tree. This in turn might lead you to some information you didn't know, and if you are lucky some distant relative has made their own tree and you can then find tons of stuff.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
You might try ancestry.com. You can sign up for a free 3-day trial there and make a family tree. In the process of doing that you will be linked to any info the website has (census, military records) about people you put in the tree. This in turn might lead you to some information you didn't know, and if you are lucky some distant relative has made their own tree and you can then find tons of stuff.
Also the LDS site FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records -- lots of info and it's FREE. During the last free week on ancestry.com which they run occasionally, I wandered over to the LDS site and found my husband's paternal side.... the whole way back to 1802 -- where that Alex came over from Scotland.

Pretty darn cool.... course it would have been cooler if his roots had been here as long as my family roots have been here.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,358 times
Default David Griffiths whales

my name is Brian Griffiths from shamokin pennsylvannia i am interested in what you found out about your great grand fathers brother John from homestead pa

Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Evans View Post
Hello,
Thank you,
Dave Evans
hi david my names Brian Griffiths from pennsylvannia all i know about my family history is my great grand father came from whales

Old 08-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Brian, send David a PM.

He'll get an e-mail notifying him that he has a message.

That way he'll know to come back to the forums.

Otherwise, he might not see your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh