Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times

Advertisements

Check out Bridgeville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 05:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I agree with you on suburbs, but have to disagree on the 'country.' In the country a kid is only limited by their imagination. I remember acres of endless forest, bushwacking hundreds of trails, playing in the creeks, tracking animals, and exploring the ruins of houses, factories, quarries and mines. By the time you're in high school, all that exploring pays off because you know dozens of secluded places for keg parties and deer roasts. I suppose it wasn't very safe, but it was cool.
And drugs. Even back in 1977, I was weird non drug kid, practically an outcast. If it hadn't been for my parents and strong family ties(two much older sisters who had been there, done that and were determined their baby sister wasn't going to), I'd have been coaxed into drugs like most of my friends.

My point being is that when you have children you need to RAISE your children... don't expect them to grow up on their own -- no matter where you settle.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I just have to say something. I think it's wonderful how many people came to the defense of Pittsburgh in this thread. It shows you that some people here do actually love their city. Maybe the tide of negativity is finally turning. Most rust belt cities are lacking this kind of pride, and if Pittsburgh can regain the kind of pride it had decades ago it will continue to be a great and beautiful city.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 PM

398 posts, read 702,237 times
Most of the defenses did not reflect well on Pittsburgh, though. It was a "with friends like these..." thread, and gave the impression that you have to have a decay fetish to like living in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:58 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Most of the defenses did not reflect well on Pittsburgh, though. It was a "with friends like these..." thread, and gave the impression that you have to have a decay fetish to like living in Pittsburgh.
Good point, I've noticed precisely this from browsing this forum. The people I know offline that love Pittsburgh for every reason other than it's "rust belt charm" I've seen time and time again here. Never have I heard offline that people love Pittsburgh from cramped row houses, aging infrastructure, and dumpy looking neighborhoods (and we DO have our fair share).

I guess all the people that do love Pittsburgh for those things all post in the same forum.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Rust Belt Chic may well be catching on more outside of Pittsburgh than inside.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Never have I heard offline that people love Pittsburgh from cramped row houses, aging infrastructure, and dumpy looking neighborhoods (and we DO have our fair share).
That's all very subjective. Some people would pay an arm and a leg to have their own "cramped row-house" in the South Side Flats or War Streets, and everyone's idea of "dumpy neighborhoods" is different. To someone used to new neighborhoods in, say, Orlando, the whole city may look "dumpy."

Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 AM

75 posts, read 172,292 times
Aqua Teen Carl,

It cuts both ways. The same 100 year old blue collar neighborhoods that give Pittsburgh a "dumpy decaying look" in some areas, bred the same 100 year old white collar neighborhoods in Squirrell Hill and Shadyside and Point Breeze that resulted in stunning turn of the century mansion archetecture that you're just not going to find in "newer" cities. Not to mention, without Pittsburgh's age, you're not going to get things like a 150 year old gothic cathedral church downtown next to a 1980's spired skyscraper 2 blocks from a 2005 LEED certified spaceage looking convention center across town from the footprint of a fort from the 1700's that essentially determined if America would be an English or French speaking nation.

For some odd reason, Pittsburgh gets singled out for "decay criticism", yet when a city like New York City has a sidewalk where you past a homeless bum, a puddle of urine, and a 1935 water main that ruptured making a feces fountain, it's considered the "rugged anything goes charm of the Big Apple".

Plus, Pittsburgh has a lot of those "dumpy looking" neighborhoods, which while not exactly eye-candy, are a heck of a lot safer than better LOOKING neighborhoods in Miami and L.A. and Dallas, where you're actually 10 times as likely to get shot.

No city has it all. Even when you have a city with wonderful weather, almost all newer buildings, and low crime, such as San Diego and Honolulu, there's a catch (in their cases exorbitant living costs and rampant homelessness).

So if seeing some drab 40's era union neighborhoods in your commute is a dealbreaker, so be it...but if you have your car stolen someplace else, pay 500,000 dollars for a 3 bedroom house, can't find a job, and have almost no city spirit in its residence...don't say you weren't warned. I'm sure a lot of Pittsburghers that left for grass-always-greener reasons, are now looking at our unemployment below the national average, our rapidly beautifying downtown area, our 100,000 homes that would cost 300,000 in many metroes its size, weather where Christmas looks like Christmas and summer looks like summer, fall looks like fall and spring looks like spring...and are starting to wish maybe they could rethink their leaving.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:31 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Great post, but did you have to make that last minute dig at McKees Rocks? I realize it's equivalent to Pittsburgh's version of Newark, but have you ever seen the views from Norwood (the McKees Rocks neighborhood up on the hill/mountain)? Nevermind, you all have convinced me to take pictures.
I agree alleghenyangel. I have worked with some of the greatest people from the Rocks and Stowe/West Park over the years.And some streets there are very quaint with nice homes and cute little restaurants and businesses

Old 09-05-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citypoot View Post
So if seeing some drab 40's era union neighborhoods in your commute is a dealbreaker, so be it...
Everyone is so down on Pittsburgh's older blue-collar neighborhoods. They love the neighborhoods with the mansions, but anything with modest housing is considered shabby. Personally, I find the smallest 1800's worker's row-house just as romantic as the imposing, stately homes of some of the East End neighborhoods.

I wonder if you have to be from somewhere else to appreciate it, though. I've noticed people are very territorial, and snobbish, about neighborhoods. We should prize every neighborhood for its own unique identity. The affluent neighborhoods are very beautiful, that is true. But the blue collar neighborhoods are overflowing with character. You can feel yourself in the footsteps of the immigrants who lived and worked there a century or more ago. It's cool. I wish more people could see it. Then again, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, South Side Flats, and the Strip are all very popular, and all were largely blue collar areas originally.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 09-05-2010 at 04:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh