Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times

Advertisements

I would recommend Menzoda's Express on the corner of Noblestown and Mansfield Roads in the Greentree/Crafton area. Yes, it looks like a shack but their food is easily the best Mexican I've had in the area, hands down. There is a small dining room and they also do take out.

For Chinese we always go for Chan-An in the Crafton-Ingram shopping plaza. Nothing fancy but the food is always delicious.

I also enjoy New Dumpling House in Squirrel Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Best time for Mad Mex is during happy hour. They have a great micro brew selection on draft and they're half off.

Also, I forgot that Las Palmas grocery store in Brookline has a taco stand on the weekends. That's about as authentic as I can think of.
There is a Taco stand in the strip too, right in front of Renya's.

Best taco's I have had.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM

85 posts, read 104,961 times
I love Orient Kitchen. It's on Baum Blvd. btwn. Morewood and S. Millvale. It's ok for sushi as well, I always like the eel rolls. My friends from China like it...however, it's not as "processed" tasting as some of the other places, so it may not be your thing. (However, if you want something special, and you DO have a friend who can speak Cantonese or Mandarin, you have more options at more places, 'cause you can order stuff that isn't on the menu.)

I love the hell out of Mad Mex...the North Hills location's great and the Oakland one has a cute ambiance providing you ONLY go there in the summer when the students are gone. I know this is off topic, but I also recommend Thai Gourmet in Bloomfield, Tandoori in North Oakland, and People's in Garfield. For Indian food, especially, Pittsburgh is surprisingly good, so if you enjoy that, there are plenty of options.

For dinner with all of the bells and whistles, I would go to Eleven in the Strip. Surf, turf, fine wines, they do it all. That place is owned by Big Burrito, the same company that manages Mad Mex. Generally, all of their restaurants are excellent. Here's Eleven's dinner menu: http://www.bigburrito.com/eleven/men...ven_dinner.pdf. You can check out other Big Burrito joints on the main site.

Last edited by Mrs. Burberry; 09-10-2010 at 06:02 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 09:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times
There's a couple of threads that talk Mexican if you want to search for them, however the be-all/end-all for authentic Mexican food in Pittsburgh is definately Mexico City on Smithfield Ave. There's two locations, the original little "hole in the wall" restaurant and their 2nd location which is much larger and houses a bar/Mariachi parties on weekend nights.

But as far as the food goes, it's the only place in Pittsburgh that I've had which can honestly compare to the Mexican restaurants that I've been to in the Austin/San Antonio areas of Texas(yes, there is a major difference between what we have around here and the awsome food found in Mex/SOCAL/TX). This place is the real deal and simply amazing. It's truly authentic in the sense that you won't find hard shell tacos and shredded cheese over everything, it's all about the sauces/spices/meat variety and whatever it is that they do to their food makes it taste simply amazing. The tacos alone are worth the visit, just be shure to try the chorizo filling if you ever go there.

...it handily kicks the crap out of the other places in Pittsburgh in my oppinion. We really don't have much of anything in the way of good Mexican food in the area, so Mexico City is really quite a hidden gem for us. The prices are very reasonable too and the proportions never dissapoint.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:04 PM

408 posts, read 991,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
...it handily kicks the crap out of the other places in Pittsburgh in my oppinion. We really don't have much of anything in the way of good Mexican food in the area, so Mexico City is really quite a hidden gem for us. The prices are very reasonable too and the proportions never dissapoint.
Mexico City is decent enough, and while its better than most of the others in town, I still don't think it is anything to get too excited about. Emilianos on McKnight Rd doesn't seem too bad either, but I've only eaten there once.

I like Mad Mex in concept but I can't help feel the ingredients are a little bland and too much like the stuff sitting on the shelf at any grocery store. Their food tastes very similar to the Mexican I whip together at home in 10 minutes.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 PM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
My favorite Chinese places are Chinatown Inn downtown and sesame inn (station square/mount lebanon).

If you have any interest in Thai food try nikki's Thai restaurant on the north side (western ave).

Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 PM

85 posts, read 104,961 times
There was an allegedly authentic Mex restaurant in Oakland, which I now cannot remember the name of. I ate there about 5-6 years ago. It was a small restaurant playing Spanish TV shows, and it reminded me very much of the restaurants in SoCal.

I didn't the food, though. It tasted rather bland compared to the spicy, salsa-and-jalapeno-infused food I prefer. Does this mean I only like Tex-Mex? I honestly sometimes get confused as to what's what...but I know Mad Mex is not real Mexican.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Burberry View Post
There was an allegedly authentic Mex restaurant in Oakland, which I now cannot remember the name of. I ate there about 5-6 years ago. It was a small restaurant playing Spanish TV shows, and it reminded me very much of the restaurants in SoCal.

I didn't the food, though. It tasted rather bland compared to the spicy, salsa-and-jalapeno-infused food I prefer. Does this mean I only like Tex-Mex? I honestly sometimes get confused as to what's what...but I know Mad Mex is not real Mexican.
If you're talking about one on Atwood Street (or maybe Oakland Ave) right before Bates, it was called La Fiesta, though I think the name has changed. I didn't mind the food, but they kept one of those industrial strength (and size) air fresheners in the dining room. Who wants to eat Glade?

Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Has anyone eaten at YoRita? Yorita

The taco has grown from simple, humble beginnings to become a versatile food favorite

Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I like Yo Rita but wouldn't consider it to be Mexican. The main food happens to be "tacos" in that it's made in tortillas, but that's about it. Great stuff for the adventurous, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh