Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
BTW, I had no expecatations of any sympathy.
You had no expectations of it, but you just chastised us for not asking if you're ok.

Personally, I don't know (or perhaps don't remember, if you actually mentioned it somewhere that I read; I only read Pittsburgh, and glance at PA and Cats) where you live in Colorado. I know you have mentioned Colorado, otherwise I wouldn't even know where in the Intermountain West that you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You had no expectations of it, but you just chastised us for not asking if you're ok.

Personally, I don't know (or perhaps don't remember, if you actually mentioned it somewhere that I read; I only read Pittsburgh, and glance at PA and Cats) where you live in Colorado. I know you have mentioned Colorado, otherwise I wouldn't even know where in the Intermountain West that you live.
Isn't that what people do? We've been getting calls and emails from all over the country asking if we're OK. The Boulder forum has been getting posts from all over the country.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
I quoted those quotes without attribution because I didn't want to start this kind of thing. For as long as I have been posting here, I've read stuff like, "You don't want to live there because they have (insert problem)". As far as the North Dakota issue, it is the SW part of the state that is having the water supply problems.

ND State Water Commission

Sioux Falls is actually in South Dakota.

Every farming area in the country has problems with agricultural run-off contaminating wells. When I lived in downstate Illinios, we told people who lived in the rural areas and were on well water not to give their babies tap water until they were a year, for that reason.
And I did say the Dakotas ( both) were having some water problems. You're exaggerating when you say I said "you don't want to live there because..." I'm simply pointing out some problems that may have to be taken into consideration when moving to a particular locale. The comment about 4+ months of no sunshine is untrue, so of course I 'm going to come back by mentioning the hurricanes that occur there. Some people will say " Pittsburgh has very high taxes-you don't want to move there" But fail to point out other cities or states with the high car registration fees,etc.that we don't have here. Many school districts here do have high taxes but the school rankings are very good. I think that needs to be taken into consideration as far as cost of living and what it is worth. There is no free ride anywhere.
Katiana, when it comes to criticizing a city, I'm sure you can figure out which end of receiving that Pittsburgh has always been on

If you've really read the Pittsburgh forum threads then you would find most have to do with the problems we face and discussion about solutions.( i.e. public transportation system sux, bridge conditions with possible collapse?, lack of rentals, the need for housing and community updates and renovation, etc) We also have have lists of "things we hate about the 'Burgh" type discussions .
And of course there are the people that are here but don't really like it and complain . Or they say it's just your average NE city it's nothing more- blah blah. But has to be pretty decent if it keeps making most liveable or most fun,etc type lists. I think they are discounting the city too much.Something tells me they'd gripe wherever they'd happen to be.

There are many other cities that I absolutely LOVE like Nashville, Phoenix ,NYC, Cleveland to name a few. They happen to all be cities, IMO that I have had consistently the most encounters with the nicest people who aren't constantly reminding you how great they ,or their city are.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Isn't that what people do? We've been getting calls and emails from all over the country asking if we're OK. The Boulder forum has been getting posts from all over the country.
If I knew anyone in Boulder I surely would be calling to ask if they are OK.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 AM

419 posts, read 447,949 times
I never get those stupid "brain drain" comments when Pittsburgh constantly is rising in terms of one of the more educated metros, and the number of good schools here. I'm not going to look it up, but I thought we are very high in terms of population with a college degree.

Some of the people who live here can't somehow notice what is going on in their own city. Either they never got out before and lived in another metro, or they live in some town outside of Pittsburgh that has never recovered like New Kensington and think that the whole metro is like that.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
That's nice. But this is the Pittsburgh forum. Apparently you are upset (or at least saw fit to mention) that I and others did not happen to notice over our time here that you live in Boulder, or did not take the time to look for the Boulder forum, or whatever.

Not everyone reads all of City-Data and/or can keep track of where everyone lives, is from, etc. (If I delve into too many more forums and try to keep up I'll really have no time to work.)

If I started a thread like this mentioning the fire, and I lived near the fire, I would have said myself whether or not the fire was affecting me or was threatening to affect me. If it's not mentioned that it's affecting, I would assume it's not a problem.

In your case you still haven't said whether it is or not. For all I know that's because you don't live within 100 miles of it. How should I know that? You post on the Pittsburgh forum, and it says your location is Intermountain West, and you talk about Colorado, that's all I know. If you're getting calls and emails from all over the US from people who know where you live, and it's not near the fire, that says a lot about how little people understand basic US geography or for that matter basic use of a map....

Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I'm in Pittsburgh right now, and I have to say that traffic would flow a lot better if a) traffic signals were coordinated better, and b) people were permitted to make right turns on red more often.

As for PennDOT, I think they're doing better than the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission these days. I-79 and I-80 are in generally good shape while the parts of the Pennsylvania Turnpike that haven't yet been reconstructed are wearing down badly.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That's nice. But this is the Pittsburgh forum. Apparently you are upset (or at least saw fit to mention) that I and others did not happen to notice over our time here that you live in Boulder, or did not take the time to look for the Boulder forum, or whatever.

Not everyone reads all of City-Data and/or can keep track of where everyone lives, is from, etc. (If I delve into too many more forums and try to keep up I'll really have no time to work.)

If I started a thread like this mentioning the fire, and I lived near the fire, I would have said myself whether or not the fire was affecting me or was threatening to affect me. If it's not mentioned that it's affecting, I would assume it's not a problem.

In your case you still haven't said whether it is or not. For all I know that's because you don't live within 100 miles of it. How should I know that? You post on the Pittsburgh forum, and it says your location is Intermountain West, and you talk about Colorado, that's all I know. If you're getting calls and emails from all over the US from people who know where you live, and it's not near the fire, that says a lot about how little people understand basic US geography or for that matter basic use of a map....
I'd really appreciate you not dissing my friends and relatives like that. We live about 20 miles from the fire, in the same county.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 PM

FYI there is- Battle of the Negatives: What is the downside to living in your city? thread in the city vs city forum. You can get much information about the views of people who live in other cities as to what they dislike the most about their own city.
Note that everyone here, in this You don't want to live here -thread ,has become nothing but a gripefest re: Pittsburgh.
Katiana, I'm interested in hearing more about the negatives you find in your own area- besides the wildfire.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:21 PM

^^I'm not going to do that in this thread. I've posted such in some threads on the Colorado forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh