Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,846,193 times

Advertisements

^^^ re: JACOSIMO^^
It's funny that people view the love of football in this region as an over-emphasized passion but would look at other regions and what sports they do as part of their local cultures as being perfectly ok.

The people who live on the West coast/ California and Hawaii love to surf. People in the mountain states love skiing and snowboarding.Minnesota and Detroit love their hockey with spirited passion but when it comes to Pittsburgh and football it's "overemphasized "here and "it's all people talk about in Pittsburgh" If you lived in any of those other areas but didn't ski, surf or whatever I doubt you would be complaining about it while living there, in fact you'd probably embrace it.

I see grandmas go to the Christian booksellers here to buy their black and gold rosary beads . I also see those grandmas who are in their 90's tune it to Steeler games and can recite every player and what play they made during a game, but not be able to remember what they ate for breakfast that morning.
The Steelers have been around for 77 years and the first Pro football game was played here on the Northside, so ,yes , it's an important part of culture in Pittsburgh ( and Western Pa).

As for "hip" or "enlightened and progressive" there are many facets of the regions history that resulted in the world's "firsts" ( first commercial radio station, first public broadcasting station, world's first movie theater, first baseball World Series was here on the Northside, many medical breakthroughs , many firsts in transplant surgery,etc, etc. But no I guess despite that, we are ordinary or even " backward.

Many people here are passed off as "dumb yinzers". I know one lady in her mid 40's who talks with a very thick yinzer accent but after talking to her for ten minutes found that she was an avid reader. She showed me her vast book collection , and with the amount of books she buys donates some twice a year to local charities.She was very intelligent.
The problem I see is there are too many wannabe's in Pittsburgh who are ashamed of the city, afraid to be associated with it as where they are from or live in and because of them and their arrogant attitude result in being the biggest detriment to our city and region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,607,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacosimo View Post
Pittsburgh is a medium-sized city in southwestern Pennsylvania. It will always be a medium-sized city in Southwestern Pennsylvania. The football team here is the predominate feature, which isn't surprising....because again, Pittsburgh is in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

This will never be a "hip", "progressive", or "enlightened" city....no matter how badly some people want it to be. It's a regular old northeastern town..always has been, always will. The only REAL problem with this city is the people who want it to be something it isn't. If people can't tolerate the local brain-drain and over-emphasis on football, etc...They should move away. Personally, I don't like it here but what can I do? I don't hate it enough to leave...and I recognize it for what it is. Sometimes you've just gotta tolerate some of the things you don't like.
Local brain drain, huh? *lol*

Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Was just surfing this forum and found this, for all you disbelievers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRANGEL09 View Post
Honestly the only thing i don't like about Pittsburgh is Pittsburghese As far as racism goes there is racism EVERYWHERE!! How about this beautiful weather we've been having? I love it! Could be worse living in an area where there are tornadoes and hurricanes. I try to think of the positive things about Pittsburgh than think of all the negatives that people bring up.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Was just surfing this forum and found this, for all you disbelievers:
City-Data Forum> Colorado>Denver > Help me choose between Orlando and Denver/ From 5/23/08

Quote:
I've never been on the Orlando forum, but I have been on the Pittsburgh forum and have told some of those jokers over and over that we are more respectful of each other here on the Denver forum than they are. I guess that gives you an idea of the "vibe" of Denver.
I would suggest taking weekend trips around Colorado. Great country. You don't need to go to Wyo,or Utah to see mountains. It's nice there, don't get me wrong, but there's alot of that in Colorado,too.
Poor Wyoming and Utah with all their great mountains,too!

So this peculiar "cultural trait" is not an exclusive Pittsburgh phenomenon after all, is it Katiana.
You're accusing us of dissuading others from considering living in other cities or states by inventing some trumped up " you wouldn't want to live there, because..." but it looks like you are guilty of doing the same.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
City-Data Forum> Colorado>Denver > Help me choose between Orlando and Denver/ From 5/23/08

Poor Wyoming and Utah with all their great mountains,too!

So this peculiar "cultural trait" is not an exclusive Pittsburgh phenomenon after all, is it Katiana.
You're accusing us of dissuading others from considering living in other cities or states by inventing some trumped up " you wouldn't want to live there, because..." but it looks like you are guilty of doing the same.
Nicely taken out of context. I was responding to someone who wanted to live in Denver and go camping in these places. He seemed to think you had to go there to camp, that he couldn't do those things in CO. In fact, I said those other states are nice. (They are just a little far from Denver for a weekend, except for Wyoming, and even that's a stretch.) But you knew that, b/c you read the whole post. In fact, you must have read a lot of my posts, poring over all of them to find a post from > two years ago, for a "gotcha" moment. That must have taken a lot of your time. I hope you feel it was well spent.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-21-2010 at 10:52 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,400,014 times
Because all the sports teams wear the same colors. Now THAT'S boring!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Nicely taken out of context. I was responding to someone who wanted to live in Denver and go camping in these places. He seemed to think you had to go there to camp, that he couldn't do those things in CO. In fact, I said those other states are nice. (They are just a little far from Denver for a weekend, except for Wyoming, and even that's a stretch.) But you knew that, b/c you read the whole post. In fact, you must have read a lot of my posts, poring over all of them to find a post from > two years ago, for a "gotcha" moment. That must have taken a lot of your time. I hope you feel it was well spent.
The same way you took my post out of context for my reply re : the # of months w/o sunshine in Pittsburgh thus my mention of hurricanes.
I don't lurk on CO forum, I have no reason to, but it took me about a whole 5 minutes ( it's not rocket science)to figure out where to find a comparison post.
At least I don't refer to the people of Denver as being a bunch of "jokers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh