Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

OK, this thread is really "tongue in cheek". There seems to be a cultural trait in Pittsburgh to talk at length about why it's not a good idea to live anywhere else, usually focusing on natural disasters and weather. eg, Durhan gets hurricanes; the Dakotas, the west and the southwest have a continuous water shortage; California has earthquakes; the midwest has tornadoes; etc. Plus, everyone else's economy is about to tank. I used to hear this kind of talk often when I was a kid, and I continue to hear it here on CD.

Here is a good reason why you should not live in Colorado.

Fourmile Fire: 92 structures lost, partial property list released - Boulder Daily Camera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
The traffic sucks. There never seems to be an end to construction. A dense old city combined with a topography of folded mountains and rivers and an incompetent if not crooked state based organization called Penndot make getting from point A to point B harder than it should be in a metro of 2 million plus.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:08 PM

362 posts, read 919,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, this thread is really "tongue in cheek". There seems to be a cultural trait in Pittsburgh to talk at length about why it's not a good idea to live anywhere else, usually focusing on natural disasters and weather. eg, Durhan gets hurricanes; the Dakotas, the west and the southwest have a continuous water shortage; California has earthquakes; the midwest has tornadoes; etc. Plus, everyone else's economy is about to tank. I used to hear this kind of talk often when I was a kid, and I continue to hear it here on CD.

Here is a good reason why you should not live in Colorado.

Fourmile Fire: 92 structures lost, partial property list released - Boulder Daily Camera
I don't see the value of this type of discussion..............why?.................. EVERY place has good & bad to deal with. I guess I would rather it be posted as "you WANT to live here because"...................you know, like, is your glass half-full or half-empty?

Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
The politics suck causing Pittsburgh to be behind twenty years.

Oh and Ben Rothlesberger is on the news 25 hours a day,eight days a week.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
I don't see the value of this type of discussion..............why?.................. EVERY place has good & bad to deal with. I guess I would rather it be posted as "you WANT to live here because"...................you know, like, is your glass half-full or half-empty?
I started it as a joke. We have a massive wildfire going. I have lived many places in 7 different states. I never heard so many people say, "You don't want to live in (insert name of city/state) because they have (insert name of natural disaster)" as I did in Pittsburgh when I lived there and on this forum.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I don't want to live here because a tree fell on my house 10 years ago. It COULD happen again.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
The traffic sucks. There never seems to be an end to construction. A dense old city combined with a topography of folded mountains and rivers and an incompetent if not crooked state based organization called Penndot make getting from point A to point B harder than it should be in a metro of 2 million plus.
On top of the fact that most people (seriously) have no idea where they are going, and have no desire to get there in a respectable amount of time. If you have road rage like I do, be prepared, you may suffer convulsions.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,173 times
Pittsburghese, an accent worse than New Jersey's.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Pittsburghese, an accent worse than New Jersey's.
I agree! I love how people call it "charming".....I call it uneducated.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM

You guys are missing the point! I'm telling you why you don't want to live in Colorado! Wildfires! You could make a list of natural disasters in every state, have them handy when someone makes a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh