Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times

Advertisements

Let's pretend that Pittsburgh neighborhoods are like stocks. Which neighborhoods would you consider a "buy"? In other words, which neighborhoods do you feel are due for reemergence? Which neighborhoods would you consider a "hold"? In other words, which neighborhoods do you feel are healthy but mature? And which neighborhoods would you consider a "sell"? In other words, which neighborhoods are are in danger of declining?

Buy

- Bluff
- Brighton Heights
- East Liberty
- Friendship
- Greenfield
- Lawrenceville
- North Oakland
- Polish Hill
- West End

Hold

- Mount Washington
- Regent Square
- Shadyside
- Squirrel Hill

Sell

- Carrick
- Highland Park
- Morningside
- Spring Hill
- Spring Garden
- Stanton Heights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I'd put parts of Garfield into the buy category and I think a lot of Friendship is getting in the hold category. There are a couple parts of Regent Square, or at least nearby neighborhoods, that might merit a buy.

I can't see why one would put Highland Park and Morningside into the sell category--they are at least holds in my view.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Sell

- Carrick
- Highland Park
- Morningside
- Spring Hill

- Spring Garden
- Stanton Heights
Can you explain the three bolded ones. I am confused because I'm familiar all three of them and don't think there is no reason for them to be considered "sell". BTW-yes I know there is a section of projects in Spring Hill but they have been there for about 50 years and crime in there is relatively low compared to other similar areas in the city and there is very little spill over from the projects into the rest of the neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM

398 posts, read 702,398 times
Buy: Brookline

Some really great new businesses have moved in recently. Now if only we can get the city to fairly divide its resources (re-paving, plowing) and not direct it all to the East End...

Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd put parts of Garfield into the buy category and I think a lot of Friendship is getting in the hold category. There are a couple parts of Regent Square, or at least nearby neighborhoods, that might merit a buy.

I can't see why one would put Highland Park and Morningside into the sell category--they are at least holds in my view.
I agree with you about Garfield. I can't tell you how much I wish I could afford to invest in that market. Unfortunately I've got to work on getting out of my apartment before and getting my own home before I worry about investment property!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Buy: Brookline

Some really great new businesses have moved in recently. Now if only we can get the city to fairly divide its resources (re-paving, plowing) and not direct it all to the East End...
Yes I am sick of only a few well off neighborhoods in that section of the city getting much attention compared to other places.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
Shadyside has gotten so expensive that other areas of the city are benefitting. Mourningside, parts of East Libery, Friendship and Bloomfield. Highland Park is different. I guess it is just too expensive for it to become "cool" like Mourningside or Bloomfield. Maybe it is too far away from Shadyside and Oakland. Sq. Hill got expensive so buyers turned to Regent Square which has gotten pricey so now people are venturing into the Regent Square Area. Greenfield is next.

I don't agree with Brighton Heights. I have never heard anyone say it is an up an coming neighborhood. I think a lot of Mt. Washington is a sell area. Duquensne Heights is nicer.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
I disagree with a few...the bolded ones are my changes, italicized are my additions

Buy

- Bluff
- Brighton Heights
- East Liberty
- Friendship
- Lawrenceville
- West End
- Highland Park
- Morningside
- Regent Square

- Bloomfield

Hold

- North Oakland
- Greenfield
- Polish Hill

- Mount Washington
- Shadyside
- Squirrel Hill
- Stanton Heights

Sell

- Carrick
- Spring Hill
- Spring Garden

Bloomfield/friendship/lawrenceville will really explode in the next 10 years (I think). Where you positioned morningside really surprised me. I just bought a house a month ago (in the east end), and every single real estate agent told me Morningside was THE up and coming neighborhood for young starter families. It is a great place to live right now...

Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
I think Greenfield is really up and coming, not that it ever saw a downside. But being close to Pitt, Squirrel Hill, and having a decent commercial district, upwards to be sure.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
Buy:

Bloomfield
Lawrenceville
East Liberty
Larimer
Morningside
Highland Park
Polish Hill
Bluff / Uptown
Southside Slopes
Mt. Washington (low prices, great neighborhood reputation)
Deutschtown / East Allegheny (the next logical area of revitalization after War Streets. It's already happening).
Garfield

Hold:

South Side Flats (pricey)

Manchester / Spring Garden/ Troy Hill/ Fineview/ Spring Hill (these North Side neighborhoods might go up or down in the future.).

West End neighborhoods (relatively low crime, low home prices, yet not much buyer interest.)

Shadyside / Regent Square / Friendship / Point Breeze (too pricey)

Sell:

I don't think any of the neighborhoods in the city that still command strong home prices are deteriorating. Seems most with strong home prices are going up, not down. And neighborhoods with rock bottom home prices can only go up. So why sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh