Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,292 times

Advertisements

I live in Squirrel Hill and want to work somewhere easily accessible by bus - I may have a job in Homewood. The closest bus stop is Homewood & Hamilton. I got a bit lost when I went there and someone called me over and said that wasn't where I want to be. I know parts of Homewood are considered unsafe but I didn't think that was considered central Homewood? Anyone know if that really is unsafe or are there just a few blocks I should stay away from? There is more than one bus stop on Homewood Ave so I can stay off of Hamilton if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 04:21 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,183 times
During the day it's no biggie. At night, I would never step foot into anywhere in Homewood.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0012 View Post
I live in Squirrel Hill and want to work somewhere easily accessible by bus - I may have a job in Homewood. The closest bus stop is Homewood & Hamilton. I got a bit lost when I went there and someone called me over and said that wasn't where I want to be. I know parts of Homewood are considered unsafe but I didn't think that was considered central Homewood? Anyone know if that really is unsafe or are there just a few blocks I should stay away from? There is more than one bus stop on Homewood Ave so I can stay off of Hamilton if need be.
I used Hamilton as a shortcut to take my wife to work during the snowstorm. There was a car jacking there around a month ago, and because of all of the shootings in Homewood and East Hills this summer, we've only been through there once and that was just the other day.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM

275 posts, read 628,364 times
I go thru there quite a bit, and never had a problem. Most of the people mind their own business and appear pleasant. Dont get me wrong, I know Homewood has a history, but like someone mentioned durring the day, and pretty much throughout Pittsburgh, there is no problem. At night there are quite a few places I would not go. For a female I would be more cautious but that should always be considered anywhere you go.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 PM

12 posts, read 29,161 times
just dont wear blue or red

Old 01-04-2011, 03:15 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,564 times
Not a very safe situation, but you must wear blue, black, or white. Never red or green. Stay a way from Fromasa Way projects & especially Molher projects (hill top)... Very dangerous, you need a "G pass" to walk arond there! Also, avoid Frankston ave., Race Street, North Langly area avenues, & the Dallas - Inwood area at night. If not you will be in serious danger if you don't.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM

I miss read part of the OP's post... But don't disregard the other post. Hamelton Ave specifically... Ok if you see the Kfc stay away. 3 fatal shooting in bearly 3 years have occurred in the parking lot. Homewood gangsters think **** you if your not from their set, That's the mind set. So it's a risky situation espcaily for a small, white, person who is a non Homeweood resident. Duaring the summer you should find another route.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
I have never had a problem and cut through there many times. I have a bit of an edge and lived in Miami and plenty of places that are a little tough. If you act smart and take care of what you need to, you shouldn't have a problem. Not saying you will never encounter anyone. I lived on Stanton for many years and just lived like I knew what I was doing. I did. Attitude makes a difference, but you need to know when to change direction. I wouldn't worry about that place in the daylight and wouldn't worry about a color I was wearing. Even the dumb gang members know some white guy isn't a member and they don't usually give a crap about some hunky's colors.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM

White people aren't un touchable in the hood either. Even babies and children get blasted or caught up in cross fires. I remember early last year there was a story that happend in Homewood. Three kids broke in to an old white lady's house in the middle of the day. Then they shot & killed her. Although that was probably an indication killing, it was not black on black. Homewood has 6 sets of cripz, there are over 100 gang members living there, so it's mainly the hood. The only safe & quite area are the streets behind Westinghouse. Homewood is the worst nieborghood because it's mostly the hood... Unlike Wilkinsburgh, where there's bad parts that buyers should avoid. No one who is sane should want to move into any where in Homewood, the clear cut worst hood in the Burgh. Also, crime happens in the middle of the day alot in the hood, like drug dealing, car jacking, assualts just not too many shootings.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
I should say, I used to cut through there on my bike. I also always cut through Lincoln Lairmer. I lived right down the street. Never had an issue, but they probably thought I was some crazy white guy on a bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh