Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Yep, that commute would be horrendous. My neighbor in West Hempfield does it every day but he does 6-2:30 pm so it isn't quite as bad for him.

youngabe, you still doing the Rte 28 alt. with it down to one lane now? That looks horrible. I will be looking for an alternate rte. from West Mifflin to Rte. 8/East Hardies road in the next month. My old route was Rte. 51 to Liberty tubes to crosstown to Rte 28 to Rte 8 or if traffic wasn't bad, Rte 28 all the way to Harmarville and hop on the T-pike for an exit.

I am thinking I will need to do crosstown to 279 and then maybe Mcknight and then crossover somewhere up near North Park over to Rte. 8. Anyone have any suggestions that will be the quickest route? I am thinking McKnight to Babcock to Ingomar to Wildwood to Rte 8. Or, would Mcknight to Peebles to Sample to Mt. Royal to Rte. 8 be better? It looks more direct but more 2 lane vs. 4 lane.
I take 28 inbound, therefore I never deal with that outbound, one lane mess. There are still two lanes inbound and even though things cross over at the 40th, believe it or not, things move excellent. I was taking 28 both ways when the 31st Street Bridge was closed for a few weeks. It was amazing, I virtually did not have traffic in or outbound. I didn't know how to act! I wouldn't dare try 28 outbound now, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 05:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i used to commute from wilkinsburg to greentree, it was pretty bad. i used to live in squirrel hill and the tunnel added about 20 minutes to my commute.

however, there is a better shortcut that hasn't been mentioned yet. get off on the edgewood exit, stay in the right lane. take a left off the ramp (both lanes allow left turns), then an immediate right. after you pass the ramp for 376 east, take a right onto whipple. follow whipple to commercial, take a right on commercial. commercial winds up the hill, crosses beechwood and becomes forward somewhere along the way. forward takes you right to the onramp for 376 in squirrel hill. that way is a LOT quicker than taking penn to braddock - there aren't many lights and not much traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh