Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,592 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Pittsburgh area next month for work. I am trying to locate an acceptable place to live for around $1000 month. Preferably 2 bedroom, and must be pet friendly. I am open to an apartment or a home.

A 6 month lease would be ideal, so I would have a chance to explore the city and find a place that suited my needs.

It is proving more difficult than I though - they rental landscape of Pittsburgh is significantly different than Houston, and I will not be able to visit before signing the lease.

I have read quite a bit on the forum and other places - Squirrel Hill / Shadyside seem to be my prime locations but I don't think that is going to happen.

Any ideas/sources would be great. In Houston, you can search MLS listings for rent, but I don't see a place to do that in Pittsburgh. Will real estate agents in the area help with a search like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,994,465 times
You can indeed talk to a real estate agent, and it might be a good idea in your case.

Some of the bigger management companies in the areas you are looking have online, searchable listings. You could try Franklin West, Forbes Management, and Walnut Capital (and maybe Mozart, although they can be a little more sketchy).

Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM

408 posts, read 991,194 times
where are you working? (location-wise)

Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM

I will be traveling for work (no regular commute), but my girlfriend will be looking for a job.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You can indeed talk to a real estate agent, and it might be a good idea in your case.

Some of the bigger management companies in the areas you are looking have online, searchable listings. You could try Franklin West, Forbes Management, and Walnut Capital (and maybe Mozart, although they can be a little more sketchy).
Thanks, I have already contacted Franklin, Walnut and Mozart but had not found Forbes.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,883,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Forbes Mgmt does not allow pets, to the best of my knowledge. Walnut does. The rest I don't know about.

http://forbesmanagement.postlets.com/

http://www.walnutcapital.com/apartmentsearch.php

Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,638,140 times
A real estate agent from Howard Hanna found us a temporary rental when we got here. It was perfect as we too wanted to get a feel for things before buying. Of course when we starting looking to buy (4 months later) we used that agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh