Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:26 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,125,905 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be up in Pittsburgh the week following July 4th for an appointment at UPMC, and wanted to know if I had to eat at only one place in the University area, where should it be?

I should add that we'll have our 12 year-old in tow so swanky 4 or 5 star restaurants are probably not the best choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 PM

255 posts, read 1,090,175 times
Cool Wow

I forsee many arguments over this one.

I'll take a choice that's sure to spark some disagreement: try going to a Primanti Bros.

They have cole slaw and french fries on the sandwhich, and that might just blow your kid's mind.

I guess the workers there are pretty surly though. And the water tasted funny.

But anyway, it's cheaper, tastes good, and fills you up.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Do you like Indian food?

There are some really great 5 star restaurants that have a very casual atmosphere in the Oakland area.

Check out this map for their location and star ratings:

indian restaurants loc: Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps

Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM

I love Indian food, but my wife only suffers though it when I can manage to drag her in, kicking and screaming.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:07 PM

176 posts, read 764,066 times
I have an 8 yr old daughter, and from my experiences I would recommend first off Dave & Busters, maybe 4 miles from the university...The next two are both in Station Square, kid friendly environments Bucca di Pepo and Hard Rock Cafe..

Your very close to Shadyside and Bloomfield right there, if those first 3 are no good for you...Check out liberty ave in Bloomfield must be 7 or 8 descent italian rest on that street...Very Casual

Shadyside is a bit more up scale, but worth the trip...Most rest. are on walnut st. good shopping for the wife, take ur gold card...

Old 06-29-2007, 07:01 PM

I've enjoyed taking my family to Lu Lu Noodles on South Craig Street in Oakland: thai restaurant loc: Bloomfield, Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps Lu Lu Noodles is ultra affordable and has a unique relaxed atmosphere. My son always enjoyed going there.

Here's a review of Lu Lu Noodles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/8608805/
Editorial Review for Lu Lu's Noodles – by Kristy M. Graver
In Short
There's more to Chinese food than fried rice. Lu Lu's proves this with a menu bursting with authentic Pan-Asian cuisine. Located on trendy South Craig Street, the noodle shop's interior mimics NYC's ultra-chic counterparts via colorful walls, big windows, and interesting noodle-inspired photography. Uncommon dishes like Japanese gyoza and tom kha kai soup lure repeat customers--both college kids and city doctors--weary of General Tso's chicken and sweet and sour pork.
There's a good Thai restaurant in Bloomfield: thai restaurant loc: Bloomfield, Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps

Here's some reviews for the Thia Cuisine Restaurant in Bloomfield:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/37966364/pittsburgh_pa/thai_cuisine.html
Thai Gem in Bloomfield 04/16/2006 Posted by twoschmoos

This is the most underrated restaurant in Pittsburgh. It doesn't look like much on the outside- it's bare-bones exterior calls out "greasy spoon." But the reality is far from it. The Thai food offered is fantastic! The pad thai that is an omnipresent menu item glows at Thai Cuisine. The service is friendly, welcoming, and attentive. What makes Thai Cuisine stand out from the others is that it serves up deeelish food without breaking the bank! The prices are extremely reasonable, and the quality exceeds that of its upper-crust trendy rivals. A must-eat in Bloomfield for sure. (note: The ambiance is cheesy.)

Best Thai. Period. 05/08/2007 Posted by kittenkatt

When I lived in Pittsburgh I ordered from or dined at Thai Cuisine weekly if not more often. The service is impeccable and the waitstaff are some of the friendliest I have ever encountered. The decor isn't very fashionable, but this almost adds to the restaurant's charm - especially after you try the food! While I have never been disappointed with anything I've ever ordered there, I think the tom kai soup, green curry, and spicy basil noodles are absolutely fabulous. Truly, their spicy basil noodles are RIDICULOUS! I haven't been able to find anything like them anywhere else. Thai Cuisine is certainly the best Thai restaurant in Pittsburgh (I've tried them all) and since moving away from Pittsburgh, I haven't been able to find anything that even comes close in comparison to Thai Cuisine.
Mind you, I'm sticking with ultra affordable, ultra casual, and ultra delicious suggestions. If you want something fancier, let me know, but you can't go wrong with these suggestions as far as delicious food goes.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 PM

799 posts, read 1,283,643 times
Sharp Edge in Friendship.

I'm a beer lover and so is the wife. The place is kid friendly and the food much improved to the point of now being above average for Pittsburgh fare. The beer is gourmet, but there is grub for kids. Chruch Brew Works over in Larryville is a great second best.

I like the Indian suggestion, but if you are willing to range a little bit, Casbah isn't that far and we (wife and I) brought our 14 month old there with no problem. If you eat out in the garden area, I can't imagine that a 12-year old would be unwelcome. Food is expensive, but VERY good.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:33 PM

We have a Dave and Buster's here and I don't want her to find out... We'd rather stick to casual dining or even a good sandwich shop.

Actually this conversation started over in the Columbia, SC sub-forum in the thread Columbia Food that you LOVE. And it's that more casual college fair that we're looking for. (Between plane tickets, a rental and the hotel, we're not going to have much free funds for fine dinning.)

Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
We'd rather stick to casual dining or even a good sandwich shop.
A good grill is Tessaro's in Bloomfield.

Here's an article on Tessaro's: Tessaro's hearth is home to famed burger's fans

Here's the location: tessaro's loc: Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps

A little closer to the University is the Union Grill on South Craig Street in Oakland.

Union Grill reviews: Union Grill - Pittsburgh, PA, 15213-3708 - Citysearch

Union Grill location: tessaro's loc: Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge
(Between plane tickets, a rental and the hotel, we're not going to have much free funds for fine dinning.)
Lu Lu Noodles is extremely affordable.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:46 PM

I found a place in Oakland called Pamela's.

Here's the location: tessaro's loc: Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps

I've never been there, but it seems to get good reviews. Apparently the breakfasts are very good.

According to the reviews, it's a college student's budget type of place too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh