Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:03 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times

Advertisements

was wondering when you were going to make another Appearance SR1234 -

Anyway if you think the economy is "Really Tough" here, then dont move elsewhere....seeing as Pittsburgh has one of the lowest Unemployment Rates in the country.....I guess everywhere else according to you would be in depression like era.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 09-20-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:05 AM

408 posts, read 991,396 times
The economy is tough everywhere.

Many companies hiring don't have a need to contact someone out of the area.. they have a huge stack of applications/resumes, and they don't want to be bothered with additional scheduling constraints for an out of town traveller. They also don't want to worry about people expecting to be reimbursed for interview travel expenses, or covering relocation to the area. If you are willing to relocate, it is hard to tell if the person is dedicated to the area, may end up quitting and going back where they came from, or just spamming every city in the US with resumes hoping to find something. Also, the market is very competitive and getting an job may take many interviews.. interviews where you are paying to travel from out of town, taking time off your current job, etc.

So, I can understand picking up and moving here without a job.

But, I think the whole "thinking of " doing this or that is going to be the OP's problem. Know what you want, and go out and get it. Nobody is going to hire wishy-washies in this market.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
I would highly suggest you get a job BEFORE you move. I have no idea why people pick up and move to Western PA thinking that they will worry about getting hired once they have relocated. The economy is really tough here. As far as teaching goes, if you check out the PA general forum you will see that getting a good teaching job is near impossible in this state.
SR 1234-The economy isn't much better anywhere else right now either.

But I pointed out some cheap apartments that I walked past recently in my neighborhood for $350/mo. , this is a decently safe and convenient neighborhood, and I know there are lots more in neighborhoods all over the city.
My point is you can live cheaply while not be under pressure to pick up a high paying job to pay the rent. Then as you go along, you find better jobs that also pay better until you land the job you want.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
[quote=Blackbeauty212;15958342]was wondering when you were going to make another Appearance SR1234 [quote]

You're right Blackbeauty 212-another Debbie Downer

Old 09-20-2010, 11:11 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I recently spent a week in Pittsburgh, and every time I leave, I miss it more and more. I basically had to move to Georgia against my will when I was a teenager, and I've never really fit in much here. Sure, Athens and Atlanta have grown on me, but I still felt more at home in Pittsburgh than I ever have down here.

If I were to look for a job, it'd be something either in radio or teaching. (I'm considering certified in Pennsylvania for teaching.) I wouldn't even need a huge place, just some place that's near a little bit of action. Anyway, we'll see what happens from here. I just need a change of scenery because I'm not sure I've ever fully recovered from the move down here.
Gnutella, this is a decision that I too struggle with... in fact every day!

I lived in Atlanta and missed Pittsburgh, and lived in Pittsburgh and missed Atlanta. Both areas have positives and negatives.

I would recommend making sure that you know what you want as far as a career goes.... if you don't like your job, you won't be happy in either place.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I would recommend making sure that you know what you want as far as a career goes.... if you don't like your job, you won't be happy in either place.
Wiser words have never been spoken......The love of my Job is the ONLY thing that keeps me in NYC....If I could take it back to the Burgh with me, I'd be outta here....In a recession NYC is an ugly place, the expensiveness really rears its ugly head....

Old 09-20-2010, 08:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
I would highly suggest you get a job BEFORE you move. I have no idea why people pick up and move to Western PA thinking that they will worry about getting hired once they have relocated. The economy is really tough here. As far as teaching goes, if you check out the PA general forum you will see that getting a good teaching job is near impossible in this state.
The unemployment rate here in Georgia is over 10%, and Georgia has lost more jobs in this recession than all but California, Michigan and Illinois.

Furthermore, I'm not that stupid. I'd rather get a job lined up before I move anywhere -- and it doesn't matter where, either.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
This is true. It is also true here in Denver, where the unemployment rate is lower. We tell people to get their job lined up before they come, or have six months' savings and be prepared to work at Starbuck's for a while. I think that's good advice re: moving anywhere.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 PM

457 posts, read 1,279,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
was wondering when you were going to make another Appearance SR1234 -

Anyway if you think the economy is "Really Tough" here, then dont move elsewhere....seeing as Pittsburgh has one of the lowest Unemployment Rates in the country.....I guess everywhere else according to you would be in depression like era.
I see you have edited your profile again to show that you don't live in NYC. Maybe you should try LIVING in PITTSBURGH before making these comments. I honestly don't know why you hang out in the Pittsburgh forum when YOU DON'T LIVE HERE!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I want to know why you are "Stuck " here. No one is stuck any where. And if it's family that is holding you here Jacosimo-there is such things as autos, planes and trains so you can have the freedom of not living here and being able to come back to make that obligatory visit.

Please stop jumping from thread to thread to do nothing but biotch about the Burgh-just leave. And I'm willing to be bet you"ll be one of those who, down the road, come back when you find out the grass isn't always greener .
I know, I've seen it happen enough times.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh