Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times

Advertisements

Interesting collection of maps. Suitable for framing pieces of art. What does it say, really, that we didn't already know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
whats wrong with little orange? but then again im from miami, look at my map, all blue and orange, barely any red. so im looking for a vice versa area of what you want, with more red lol
How 'bout we trade some red for orange!

It's sad that our last big wave of immigrants came to the Burgh back in the 1800's- soooo long ago! which were largely Irish, German, Italian, Polish( European) but we missed out on ever having a wave of Hispanic and Asian, thus not enough diversity here,IMO.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,760 times
Default ironically, it is and isn't a big deal at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
How is this an uncomfortable topic? It shows where the black people live and where the white people live. Big deal. And, people tend to stick to their own kind (racially and socio-economically). Again I say...big deal.
I have gotten to the point where the thing that counts the most about the people I befriend is whether they are honest and decent human beings.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
How 'bout we trade some red for orange!

It's sad that our last big wave of immigrants came to the Burgh back in the 1800's- soooo long ago! which were largely Irish, German, Italian, Polish( European) but we missed out on ever having a wave of Hispanic and Asian, thus not enough diversity here,IMO.
I'm offended and find that slightly racist.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 AM

441 posts, read 766,234 times
It's funny seeing people on City Data complain about the "lack of diversity" while recommending Cranberry, Upper St. Clair, Robinson, and the most vanilla suburbs in the area to every newcomer who asks where to live. These neighborhoods were never diverse and probably never will be. Why would you expect diversity in the land of McMansions and big box chain stores? These places are indistinguishable from every other generic "main strip with chain stores and surrounding housing developments" suburb in America.

If you value diversity so much, try living in the city. Every day I walk around Sq. Hill, I hear at least two or three languages spoken on the street--various Slavic languages, various Indian languages, Yiddish, and Hebrew. There are several Slavic and Indian immigrant families who live in my neighborhood. There are a group of Orthodox Jews every Friday afternoon who wander the streets talking to random people on the street. There are three ethnic markets in walking distance.

And it's not just Sq. Hill. I heard three or four different languages being spoken today at the Bloomfield farmer's market. There was certainly a very diverse crowd when I went to the Strip District on Saturday. The diversity is there if you look for it--or does it not count because the people aren't brown enough to count as "diverse"? Or is it merely a case of "I want to see diversity, but I don't want to live next to it"?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
The diversity is there if you look for it--or does it not count because the people aren't brown enough to count as "diverse"? Or is it merely a case of "I want to see diversity, but I don't want to live next to it"?
"I love blacks and gays and latinos...as long as they don't move next door! So love me love me love me, I'm a liberal!" - Jello Biafra

Old 09-24-2010, 05:18 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm offended and find that slightly racist.
I guess it does seem to be a little de-humanizing when you represent certain people as being a color on a map.
But SomebodyMiami and I just want to mix up/give each other what the other lacks .Good intentions were meant by it.

I agree it shouldn't sound like a card swap meet.
Sorry!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I guess it does seem to be a little de-humanizing when you represent certain people as being a color on a map.
But SomebodyMiami and I just want to mix up/give each other what the other lacks .Good intentions were meant by it.

I agree it shouldn't sound like a card swap meet.
Sorry!
Oh ok it's alright. I didn't think it was meant to be totally like what I said but I'm certain if I said something along the lines of "we should make white people live in the Hill because there are too many blacks" I would be suspended from here. I just feel like there's a double standard on certain issues here and in the country we need to get past but enough of that let's move everything is ok.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM

346 posts, read 537,215 times
I don't know... I really don't care what race or ethnicity people are as long as they are good people.... I think we have a lot of great people here already.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,939 times
NO,i have no map.i can't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh