U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,988,402 times

Advertisements

Except the shortage of Hotels part....Pittsburgh is going to have to get hotels built if it's ever going to attrack the Big Events

A weeklly e-magazine about the people and places advancing the Pittsburgh region Pittsburgh keeps the G20 party going with 22,000 jobs, soldout hotels and free Penguins tix

Now Honest Bob and sr1234 Dont have a Heart Attack when you read this, I know how "Unbelievable" this news will be to take.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 30,098,289 times
I find it interesting that this article came out the same week the ACLU filed a lawsuit against the police. And I also think both stories are essentially correct: hosting the G20 was well worth it for Pittsburgh, and the police engaged in excessive behavior.

Incidentally, I had the same reaction about the bit about the hotel rooms.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,063,374 times
From the article:

Quote:
In addition, several major companies, including UPMC, have announced plans to hire hundreds, he adds.
And they'll all be contractors with awful benefits and low pay, or employees with low pay. Don't ask how I know.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 AM

I won't because you don't

Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I won't because you don't
Oh yes, I'm sure I know nothing on this issue.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Then either spill - or let's just move on, you dont think we'd take your wisecracking knock on area jobs as the truth do you....either way its JOBS!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Then either spill - or let's just move on, you dont think we'd take your wisecracking knock on area jobs as the truth do you....either way its JOBS!
Jobs are good, but what the companies in this area are doing are not.

Over the past few months, Highmark sent out a few hundred e-mails to various employees in their IT Department and advised them to voluntarily resign so that it would help the company. Well the people that got these e-mails saw this as the writing on the wall and left the company. However, the company left the door open for them to come back as "contractors" for lower benefits and so the company wouldn't have to pay payroll tax. Why haven't we heard about Highmark dropping hundreds of jobs on the news? Because people "voluntarily" left their positions.

UPMC hasn't gone to this extreme quite yet, however every time someone in their IT department drops off the map they're replaced with a contractor with low pay and benefits. It's vicious.

I do freelance IT work for a "recruiter".

Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM

364 posts, read 862,988 times
At least they are still paying local citizens. The next pressure will be to completely outsource these positions to overseas companies. I've worked for several Fortune 500 companies where this practice started 5+ years ago. As the financial pressure rises, so does the level of outsourcing. Instead of just being first level IT support, you end up outsourcing even the most technical / skilled positions, and then are left with a local skeleton crew.

So I'm not saying it is a good policy, but it could be much worse.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
At least they are still paying local citizens. The next pressure will be to completely outsource these positions to overseas companies. I've worked for several Fortune 500 companies where this practice started 5+ years ago. As the financial pressure rises, so does the level of outsourcing. Instead of just being first level IT support, you end up outsourcing even the most technical / skilled positions, and then are left with a local skeleton crew.

So I'm not saying it is a good policy, but it could be much worse.
True, it is better than completely outsourcing. However it seems that companies have learned that outsourcing at the highest level (developers mostly) has NOT been beneficial and they've been backing off. Instead, there seems to be and increase in this whole "contracting" phenomenon and importing foreign workers via H1-B visas. Some people call it "in-house outsourcing".

I'm working at a big company right now and I'm seeing this first hand.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM

13,528 posts, read 19,495,202 times
So there's a shortage of prime office and hotel space in Pittsburgh? Time to start another building boom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh