Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times

Advertisements

If that's true about Saks not being able to build at Ross Park because of Nordstrom, then maybe Simon will find a way to get Saks to relocate to South Hills Village (former Boscov's space?) and South Hills mall will become more like RPM with an upscale anchor. I will add, though, that Saks and Nordstrom reside together in the Cleveland suburb of Beachwood at Beachwood Place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
It's already confirmed that Target and Dick's Sporting Goods are opening in the former Boscov's location at South Hills Village, Target, Dick̢۪s Sporting Goods a step closer to filling space in South Hills Village | Pittsburgh Business Times

Several years ago, there were also rumors of Lord & Taylor opening a new store at the mall when it was still a major player in the upscale retail scene, it would've been part of a larger expansion making the mall into an L shape. Perhaps something similar could be done with Saks if they choose to relocate to South Hills Village.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I still haven't seen anything in the news about Saks leaving downtown. Is this just another rumor?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 AM

I'll add that this happened after the article of Target/Dick's heading for South Hills. Nothing was official on that deal so Saks heading to South Hills could still be worked out. However, I don't know if Simon or SHV is willing to wait the 2 years or however long left on Saks' lease downtown and find out. They should probably fill the Boscov's space while they can, so SHV doesn't become the next Century III.

Saks Fifth Avenue In Downtown Pittsburgh Has Not Renewed Lease CBS Pittsburgh – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of Pittsburgh

Saks Fifth Avenue terminates lease

Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,243 times
Don't hold your breath on any development news. Unless the company finds a sweet leasing deal that is. Saks continues to close stores across the country. Last week it announced the closing of it's Denver store located in the Cherry Creek Mall on March 19, 2011.
With the closing of the Denver store, the Company will have closed seven Saks Fifth Avenue stores since July 2010. The Company closed its Saks Fifth Avenue stores in Mission Viejo and San Diego, California; Southampton, New York; Portland, Oregon; Charleston, South Carolina; and Plano, Texas in 2010.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 10,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
Can you give a link to an announcement about that? I don't want to freak out my sister-in-law without giving her some documentation.
Saks CEO announced last spring that they could possible close up to 20 stores in the next 2 years. Other retail experts think it could be up to 1/2 of their stores, mostly in the West. The DT Pittsburgh location is like something out of the 1980s. Saks has not remoldeled or upgraded this location for decades. There is no way Pittsburgh can support Nordstrom and an outdated Saks. Saks will not buy the old Lord&Taylor spot, they do not want to shell out cash when they get major incentives to locate in mall locations mostly rent free.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
I hope they move someplace south
If not, Tangier mall has an Off Saks store. The main difference between the Saks and "off saks" is in where the items are made and possible the designers. That is why the items at off stores are cheaper. I read this tangentially, in a book about mafia. I am not kidding. All those italian designers outsource the jobs or employ people in prison or emigrants.
Off topic, there was a story in that book about a very talented and very poor tailor who made the white dress Angelina jolie wore for the oscars few years back. He was paid peanuts, he was not told who the dress was for and, down the run, he ended up as a driver for mafia. Such a wasted talent!
The book is called "Gomorrah" by Roberto Saviano. There was a movie made after it as well.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 AM

update...

Meeting sought to keep Saks in Downtown - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I still haven't seen anything in the news about Saks leaving downtown. Is this just another rumor?
It is another rumor. Even though people are speaking as it has already closed, it has to be taken as speculation. They just haven't renewed the lease at the moment. Maybe they will move, maybe they will reach an agreement? Hard to say.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
with a growing downtown population and a tight office market, one might think this site has other uses (rather than vacancy). glad to see the city isn't trying to use a direct subsidy from its own coffers
Seeking to keep Saks Downtown, local leaders may seek state money for upgrades
I don't know that it's a particularly good use of state money but that doesn't stop people from getting it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh