Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM

108 posts, read 274,176 times

Advertisements

Hey, Everyone

I want to live in Pittsburgh because I thought it was an active city with lots of different festivals, a big music scene, a big food scene and so on but I recently read this article that said it wasn't. Please help, I've never been to the east and I want to live over there or in Toronto.

Moderator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service

Thank you.

Last edited by Yac; 09-24-2010 at 01:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 AM

408 posts, read 991,763 times
Where are you coming from to compare it to?

Is it active compared to NY, no, but it might seem quite rowdy if you are coming from a sleepy NW city. The city mostly "comes together" for sporting events.

It's a city of hidden gems. There's a lot of little neighborhoods and a lot of neat stuff tucked away in them.. it's not a place where everyone is rallying around downtwon.

If your idea of a big music scene is local artists playing at quirky little bars and coffee shop, then yes. If it is top 20 bands playing 5 night runs at madison square gardens, then no.

Also while I will say there is a big food scene, it isn't so diverse. Most places cater to american and european foods. That doesn't mean you can't find anything else.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM

346 posts, read 537,275 times
I think like the previous poster said it's all a matter of perspective. You can't really compare Pittsburgh to places like NYC, Miami, Vegas or Toronto, because it's just not on that kind of level, but I think we old our own for the size of the city.

I think we have a great amount of culture meuseums, plays, musicals, ballet, local music... ect. There are enough bars and clubs to have a good time. We have great sports teams and there are a lot of fun festivals and daycation type places all around the city. There are a good amount of young people here due to all the colleges and I think the number of young people is ever growing.

Also the more people like you who come here the more active the city will be...

so please come thx!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
You can find lots of festivals in Pittsburgh - arts festivals and free concerts. But it's not quite as lively as Toronto.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
There is lots and lots of stuff going on in Pittsburgh, but it is a little more scattered/less-concentrated than in some cities. I think that has both positive and negative aspects, but the bottomline is that if you are willing to actively seek out events and activities, you should find a lot to do.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Hi

Thanks for all you advice, I think its best that i visit the city for myself to see if its what I'm looking for.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
sorry to sound like a parent, but you might want to consider value, too.
toronto is very cool, but expensive, and populous.
for a lower cost of living, pittsburgh may suit you - you may find it as lively and happening as anywhere else, but with people being more approachable. it might be easier 'to make friends'.

this thread may be of interest to ya:
//www.city-data.com/forum/toron...e-friends.html

i adore toronto, and have a lot of family there. however, lately (within the last few years), i see it isnt as superb as tourists find it, and i do think pittsburgh is an excellent location for an urbanite's dream.

but both your choices show how smart you are keep us informed!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 AM

I will keep you all informed.....

Old 09-24-2010, 07:21 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
It's a city of hidden gems.
This.

When it comes to music, food, things to do, places to see, you'll have to dig a little deeper here. We have alot of good things going on, but the majority of the locals won't know about them if they're not on the evening news. Apathy is a big part of it as well, there's only a certain kind of person who is willing to explore the fine things this city has to offer.

If you do your research and look a little harder than you would in Toronto, you'll see that we have a great music scene and a fine number of awesome restaurants (although we certainly don't have the selection of 'exotic' food restaurants that other cities do). This city has much much more to offer than baseball games at PNC Park and inclines.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
sorry to sound like a parent, but you might want to consider value, too.
toronto is very cool, but expensive, and populous.
for a lower cost of living, pittsburgh may suit you - you may find it as lively and happening as anywhere else, but with people being more approachable. it might be easier 'to make friends'.

this thread may be of interest to ya:
//www.city-data.com/forum/toron...e-friends.html

i adore toronto, and have a lot of family there. however, lately (within the last few years), i see it isnt as superb as tourists find it, and i do think pittsburgh is an excellent location for an urbanite's dream.

but both your choices show how smart you are keep us informed!
Well, those type of threads show up in the Pgh forum, and many other cities' forums, as well. I think most of the people on this forum are giving good advice, e.g. "seek and ye shall find".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: