Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovyman1127 View Post
Google "Wilkinsburg shooting" and tell me how many hits you get...
Exactly what I meant. "Just make sure to get all the facts before making a move" is great advice, really. However, if that means writing off all of Wilkinsburg, including the part closer to Edgewood (i.e. Regent Square), I disagree.

I lived in that neighborhood for two years and it's the greatest neighborhood I've lived in. While I miss Pittsburgh in general, I miss that neighborhood even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:58 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Sure, so long as it "doesn't matter" whether you end up with a "small cut on your hand" or slaughtered on the street.
It's pretty rare that murder is a crime between people who don't know each other. Even in the most dangerous neighborhoods if you stay out of 'their' business you won't be bothered.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 PM

34 posts, read 72,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
However, if that means writing off all of Wilkinsburg, including the part closer to Edgewood (i.e. Regent Square), I disagree.
Define "writing off"....If I'm living down the street from ganglands...I tend not to take chances being that close to bad stuff going down. "Down the street" is relative...and yes, I would write it off. Its not like Wilkinsburg is Fairfax County, VA.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Even in the most dangerous neighborhoods if you stay out of 'their' business you won't be bothered.
I feel so much more comfortable moving now...knowing that once I feel the bullet hit me, that I know it wasn't "intended" for me...

Walking my kid to school, I could say "Ignore that man bleeding on the street little Johnie from the gunshot, just stay out of his business and you will be ok."

Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovyman1127 View Post
I feel so much more comfortable moving now...knowing that once I feel the bullet hit me, that I know it wasn't "intended" for me...
Cities Safer than Suburbs (http://www.allbusiness.com/professional-scientific/scientific-research/244291-1.html - broken link)

And I quote from the above article
Quote:
Researchers ranked 60 U.S. metropolitan counties and nine central cities--Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Milwaukee, Minneapolis--St. Paul, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh--on combined traffic fatality rates and rates of homicide by strangers....Outer suburbs are more dangerous than cities and inner suburbs mostly because of the automobiles, Lucy's study concludes. In 2000, there were about three times as many traffic fatalities as homicides in the United States.
It's more dangerous for you to live in Cranberry and drive than it is for you to live in the city. Of course old habits die hard, but facts are facts.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Cities Safer than Suburbs (http://www.allbusiness.com/professional-scientific/scientific-research/244291-1.html - broken link)

It's more dangerous for you to live in Cranberry and drive than it is for you to live in the city. Of course old habits die hard, but facts are facts.
Traffic fatalities? Yes, if you include that in the equation, of course, because they drive more....and driving is the most risky thing that a person does in their life. But, this is like stating firemen have a bigger danger of getting hurt on the job than an accountant...its simple math. But, lets talk "living" in an area...not the commute from an area.

And notice the study said "homicides by strangers" not "total" homicides....you guys have to read more carefully next time.

Last edited by kovyman1127; 10-04-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Lets rephrase: police "incidents" (shooting/robbery/break in, etc

Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Also, if you think that "living" in Cranberry is more dangerous than "living" in Wilkinsburg (by extension)...you are CRAZY!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Again, for a small city, Wilkinsburg has some really distinct areas. The Regent Square part of Wilkinsburg, where we live, really isn't proximate to any of this stuff, and I really do think our risk from cars is WAY higher than our risk from crime.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM

398 posts, read 702,174 times
Quote:
It's an incorrectly designed study. It's perfectly reasonable to remove known-assailant homicides, under the rationale that the safety of an area should be normalized to people who don't engage in reckless behavior, i.e. someone dying because his drug deal went bad isn't as scary to me, someone who doesn't deal drugs, as someone dying from a random home invasion.

But similarly, they should then exclude traffic self-fatalities. I don't drive drunk and I don't speed down roads late a night and I don't swerve in and out of traffic during snowstorms, or agree to ride in the cars of people who do. That other people do these things and kill themselves and their passengers doesn't affect the normalized safety of the location. They should only include not-at-fault traffic fatalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh