Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM

29 posts, read 89,959 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for a privately-owned pest control company that I can call in order to ready my home for fall. I typically don't have a problem with any type of infestations - except this year I have started to see a few stink bugs. They are driving me insane. I live in the south hills - so more local companies may be easier, but i'll take any recommendations you can offer.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 03:18 PM

408 posts, read 991,458 times
if you only have a few and they are driving you insane, you should hang out at my house! you will have a full on psychotic meltdown. My bagless vaccuum is like a habitat/mass grave.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:25 PM

29 posts, read 89,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
if you only have a few and they are driving you insane, you should hang out at my house! you will have a full on psychotic meltdown. My bagless vaccuum is like a habitat/mass grave.

That's what I'm afraid of, b/c I will have a full-on psychotic break if I start seeing more than the 2 or 3 i've seen in the last two days. I typically don't freak out over any type of creepy crawlers, but these for some reason are threatening to take me over the edge!

I did read a treatment of 1:1 lavender oil to water, so I will try treating with that until I can find someone to come over here and do the real deal. Do they crawl back out of your vacuum cleaner?

Old 09-25-2010, 04:54 AM

408 posts, read 991,458 times
Well I haven't heard of a solution to getting rid of them, but if you find one, let me know! You can attempt to seal your house but you are always going to have exhaust ducts and things for them to crawl in. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
There's very little that can be done about stink bugs so far, it seems:

Stink-bug invasion likely to get worse

I catch 'em and flush 'em, fearing the smell of crushing or vacuuming.

Gotta seal up the house better I guess, but I really don't think it's possible to seal it up well enough....

Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,578 times
I use a private pest control company in the South Hills. My exterminator and I were talking about the stink bugs and there nothing that can be done for them.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 PM

34 posts, read 72,065 times
Patriot Pest Controll is very good (partner owned)...they are affordable and are always on time it seems.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,224 times
Best thing to do for the stinkers is to grin and bear it until we get the first hard frost. Seal up the house the best you can (seal windows and doors, should be done for winter anyways) and fix screens on doors and windows and make sure they fit well. There is nothing that can be sprayed that will leave a residue that will keep them out of the house.

Normal bug spray doesn't work so well on them but liquid dish soap and water (several drops) in a spray bottle or >70% rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle will kill them. The alcohol doesn't leave any residue and evaporates quickly. If you grab them in your hand but don't squeeze or crush them, you can release them outside or flush them and they won't stink on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh