Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times

Advertisements

Here is a nice roundup using data from the 2009 American Community Survey (note this only includes people using bikes as their primary mode, and not people who bike for part of their trip or only on certain days):

The Bike Pittsburgh Blog Archives » Pittsburgh sees 206 percent rise in bicycle commuting since 2000 – Fourth largest increase in the country

The City of Pittsburgh had the fourth-quickest growth in bike commuting from 2000 to 2009. It ranks 15th overall. Combine biking and walking, and it is 2nd (Boston is #1). Combine biking, walking, and transit, and it is 7th.

Note this is one of the areas in which the City being relatively small in relationship to its overall metro area is helpful. Still, I think the City and its inner suburbs have lots more potential in these areas, and as this article points out, bike infrastructure in particular is relatively cheap (and of course bikes are a cheap way of commuting, environmentally friendly, conducive to public health and safety, and so on). So whatever percentage of commuters you can shift to biking generally counts as a big win for local transportation.

Not covered in the article: I also tend to think Pittsburgh would be a great place for e-bikes, since the hills can be a little intimidating:

Electric bicycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 AM

112 posts, read 162,048 times
Its amazing what a difference a couple of years make for biking (leisure and commuting) in general. If Smithfield St. Bridge has a slogan, it'd be 'Passing on your left!'

Old 10-03-2010, 09:23 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
that is great to hear! the more people who bike, the more bike friendly a city becomes, primarily because drivers get used to having bikes around.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,439 times
If you know bicycles-this would be a great business to open in the Burgh.

BrianTh-I agree with the need for e-bikes, since even avid bicyclists don't favor the Burgh for the mere fact of too many hills here.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 AM

408 posts, read 991,871 times
I wish cyclers on the street were required to be licensed, certified, or educated in some manner. I also wish a large focus on cyclers was made in the automobile licensing tests.

There seem to be so many bikers with that are riding unsafely, coupled with confusion from drivers as to what bikers are supposed to be doing.. it makes non-bikers hate bikers as a group. Many people seem to think bicycles are supposed to ride on the sidewalk!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,705,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt4579 View Post
Its amazing what a difference a couple of years make for biking (leisure and commuting) in general. If Smithfield St. Bridge has a slogan, it'd be 'Passing on your left!'
Now if people knew what we mean when we yell out "passing on the left". I can't tell you how many times I've done that and the person/people move to the left.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
I wish cyclers on the street were required to be licensed, certified, or educated in some manner. I also wish a large focus on cyclers was made in the automobile licensing tests.

There seem to be so many bikers with that are riding unsafely, coupled with confusion from drivers as to what bikers are supposed to be doing.. it makes non-bikers hate bikers as a group. Many people seem to think bicycles are supposed to ride on the sidewalk!
I wish Allegheny County drivers were required to take a yearly written or computer based test on driving before they were allowed back on the road. Most polite drivers in the US? Maybe. Most stupid and uneducated? For sure.

I laugh at people who think bikes should be ridden on the side walk. It just goes to show how clueless people are.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
If you know bicycles-this would be a great business to open in the Burgh.

BrianTh-I agree with the need for e-bikes, since even avid bicyclists don't favor the Burgh for the mere fact of too many hills here.
Biking is the number one reason I moved to Pittsburgh.

Real bikers like the hills and look to them as a daily personal challenge.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Here is a nice roundup using data from the 2009 American Community Survey (note this only includes people using bikes as their primary mode, and not people who bike for part of their trip or only on certain days):

The Bike Pittsburgh Blog Archives » Pittsburgh sees 206 percent rise in bicycle commuting since 2000 – Fourth largest increase in the country

The City of Pittsburgh had the fourth-quickest growth in bike commuting from 2000 to 2009. It ranks 15th overall. Combine biking and walking, and it is 2nd (Boston is #1). Combine biking, walking, and transit, and it is 7th.

Note this is one of the areas in which the City being relatively small in relationship to its overall metro area is helpful. Still, I think the City and its inner suburbs have lots more potential in these areas, and as this article points out, bike infrastructure in particular is relatively cheap (and of course bikes are a cheap way of commuting, environmentally friendly, conducive to public health and safety, and so on). So whatever percentage of commuters you can shift to biking generally counts as a big win for local transportation.

Not covered in the article: I also tend to think Pittsburgh would be a great place for e-bikes, since the hills can be a little intimidating:

Electric bicycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've noticed more people commuting on our end of town this year.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Real bikers like the hills and look to them as a daily personal challenge.
Undoubtedly.

However, it would be great if a lot more Pittsburgh commuters in the future also fell into the fake-bikers category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh