Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:39 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
Weird - I have free personal and business checking accounts at PNC - no requirements...
You have two accounts - and if you have business checking it's likely you're meeting a combined balance requirement. My impression is that the OP doesn't necessarily want to keep a lot or a specific level of money at the local bank.

Good info/suggestion from Trance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 AM

38 posts, read 59,585 times
Dollar Bank - the only bank around here that doesn't pull all the the trick fees to make money. They have good rates, both credit and savings and excellent service, rather large ATM and branch presence as well, not to mention excellent online banking.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Well, I'll tell you which bank NOT to go with...FIRST NIAGRA....

Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
I see First Niagra a being a prime take over target.......

BofA
JPM Chase
Citi

I dont see FN making it 5 years, and with the Burgh being dominated by PNC i see one of these big boys coming in to challenge that.....

Old 10-04-2010, 05:31 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
There are only about 5 banks left in this country that control all financing.

Sooner or later, Dollar Bank will be gone, a sad day to be sure.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 PM

261 posts, read 1,300,804 times
Personally I like first commonwealth. Very "personal" banking.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Well, I'll tell you which bank NOT to go with...FIRST NIAGRA....
What's wrong with them I'm jw?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,950 times
Go with a local CU that has an agreement worked out with one of the regional banks for use of their ATMs. One of my accounts (savings only) is with Parkview Community FCU in Mckeesport and I can use all of PNC bank ATMs for free. My main accounts are with Penna. State Employee CU and whatever ATMs are in Sheetz, I can use for free and all others, they reimburse the fees I get charged up to 6 or 8 transactions per month.

I use cash back at Wally world or giant eagle to get most of my cash so I only use ATMs in a pinch.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
There are only about 5 banks left in this country that control all financing.

Sooner or later, Dollar Bank will be gone, a sad day to be sure.
Dollar can't be bought out the same way that the publicly traded bank companies can.

Mutual savings bank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure there is some way to take it over, but it's well-funded and independent-minded. If there was some huge change in the leadership direction, maybe we'd see this happen. But given that it didn't happen already in the last 10-15 years, I'm not seeing it. Would have to be in danger of failure or something, and because they're so conservative, they're not.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:14 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
What's wrong with them I'm jw?
Not enough ATM machines around for one. You gotta drive far and wide to find one or else use another banks ATM and get charged that dreadful fee.

I don't know, I just ain't feelin' them. I was content when PNC announced that they were taking over ALL the National City branches, but then, when they came along and said they would be only taking over SOME and that this new bank, from BUFFALO, would be taking over others, I was like OH GOSH...just so happens MY branch was the one who First Niagra took over. I was HOPING it would be PNC...and I have been pissed about it every since...LOL

My biggest gripe is the lack ATM machines, though. I hardly ever carry cash, and I am always going to an ATM machine, when I really need money. Its like every community or mall I go in, you see ATM's from every bank but them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh