Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times

Advertisements

These buses will look very nice in the garages since PAT won't need them with all the cuts they may have to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
I'm sure they will look stunning parked in the bus garages when PAT runs out of money.
I agree. It's great they're getting some new buses and will cut costs by savings on fuel efficiency, but it's still not addressing the problem of route and service cuts.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I gather the Smartcard testing went horribly, and the vendor was tasked to figure out how to make it work. I haven't heard anything since.
All I remember is that they tested some new smartcard-capable fare boxes, and they were bad at taking dollar bills, so they took them back out of service. That was months ago though.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
the best thing that could happen to PAT right now is an investment that increases ridership at a faster clip than labor costs...in other words, something that reduces the revenue/labor ratio.

Last edited by pman; 10-06-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the ebst thing that could happen to PAT right now is an investment that increases ridership at a faster clip than labor costs...in other words, something that reduces the revenue/labor ratio.
Lots in the TDP was more or less along these lines: rationalizing the routes, Rapid Bus, and so on should all result in increasing that ratio. That is part of why it is a little frustrating to me that even getting the modest amounts needed for Rapid Bus implementation is going slowly: that stuff should be very good from not just a service but also a financial perspective.

Still, new buses to replace the oldest buses isn't bad either--that is more about saving maintenance costs than increasing gross revenues, but either way you are improving the net revenue per labor cost ratio.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I agree. It's great they're getting some new buses and will cut costs by savings on fuel efficiency, but it's still not addressing the problem of route and service cuts.
OK?!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
I believe Pittsburgh is ripe to become very Pro-transit if a couple of things happen....

- Service needs to connect better with other service (i.e. EBA and West Busway should be one route using the Accordian style buses and maintaining a High Volume of Service...There shouldn't be a need to consult a schedule)
- PAT and the Surrounding county transits need to merge form a WPTA
- Embrace the Reverse commuters with Express service from Downtown to High Employment Suburban business centers
- Increase service to weekend Activity/Entertainment Centers
- Streamline fare structure - make everything one fare (i.e 3 bucks w/ 2 free transfers to use within 3hrs)...Get Smartcard going NOW!!!!!!! make refilling SmartCards a breeze - Place kiosk at all T and Busway station, all Giant Eagles, and allow for refilling online and by phone..
- Embrace Direct Commuter Express Service from the outer-reach suburbs and surrounding counties to Downtown and Oakland charge 5$ fare for the premium service (people will pay the premium for direct faster "less stops" and exclusive use of Coach style buses)..
- More Park n Rides...

I guarantee with this in place Pittsburgh will go from car to transit culture simply because its more convenient and stress free way of commuting.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Lots in the TDP was more or less along these lines: rationalizing the routes, Rapid Bus, and so on should all result in increasing that ratio. That is part of why it is a little frustrating to me that even getting the modest amounts needed for Rapid Bus implementation is going slowly: that stuff should be very good from not just a service but also a financial perspective.

Still, new buses to replace the oldest buses isn't bad either--that is more about saving maintenance costs than increasing gross revenues, but either way you are improving the net revenue per labor cost ratio.
no, not bad at all, just not enough to change the equation. in my mind, the TDP is a good first step. the only thing I've seen that would be transformative would be the spine line but there may be others. as long as the people are there to ride such a thing, it's hard to be that kind of rail, though I don't know that T care would be sufficient for sucha line based on the now dated ridership estimates. Pittsburgh City Paper (http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid:29152new - broken link) buses improve quality and should reduce maintenance costs but it won't really reduce labor in any meaningful way. if it reduces fuel that's an added bonus though. I'm a big fan of annual contributions to projects. sure, it's a slow way to build things but over time, it really adds up rather than the big project approach that is currently in favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh