Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,524 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place to rent, and an apartment I am considering is listed as "Churchill area." It is just west of the Churchill boundary, slightly northeast of Woodlawn Cemetery. Is this area considered to be in Wilkinsburg? Is this area safe? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,036,033 times
Yes that's Wilkinsburg. The realtor probably doesn't want to put WILKINSBURG because of the stigma attached. While NO area is 100% safe, I can vouch that that particular part of Wilkinsburg is pretty quiet and mostly everyone pretty much mind's their business up there. I'm up that way often, day and night, because my boyfriend lives around that Beacon Hill apartment complex. Plus, I'm from Wilkinsburg (no longer live there) and that area has always been decent up that way.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,524 times
Thanks Little Mizz Pittsburgh.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,825,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodles View Post
I am looking for a place to rent, and an apartment I am considering is listed as "Churchill area." It is just west of the Churchill boundary, slightly northeast of Woodlawn Cemetery.
Does anyone know why so many cemeteries are called Woodlawn?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,869,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Does anyone know why so many cemeteries are called Woodlawn?
Good question. This isn't a complete answer, but I do know that back in the mid-1800s, a lot of North American cities were growing rapidly, and they were finding that their traditional urban graveyards (church yards and such) were no longer adequate. So a movement began to establish cemeteries out in what were then rural areas (many have since become surrounded by development), and they often adopted the park-like style of winding paths, rolling lawns, and scattered trees. You could see how "Woodlawn" would be a good description of such a project, and I believe many of the historic Woodlawn Cemeteries date back to this era. And I suspect once it was established, the name might have been adopted, consciously or not, for similar but later cemeteries as well.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:05 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,825,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Good question. This isn't a complete answer, but I do know that back in the mid-1800s, a lot of North American cities were growing rapidly, and they were finding that their traditional urban graveyards (church yards and such) were no longer adequate. So a movement began to establish cemeteries out in what were then rural areas (many have since become surrounded by development), and they often adopted the park-like style of winding paths, rolling lawns, and scattered trees. You could see how "Woodlawn" would be a good description of such a project, and I believe many of the historic Woodlawn Cemeteries date back to this era. And I suspect once it was established, the name might have been adopted, consciously or not, for similar but later cemeteries as well.
Thanks, Brian.

I know of Woodlawn Cemeteries in Santa Monica and the Bronx, and googling brings up others in Beaver County, what looks like (at least) two in Massachusetts, Saskatchewan, Wilkinsburg, Toledo, Elmira, and on and on and on...

When I was a kid, it was my job to cut the lawn. I did it very well, somehow (not that I'd've had any idea about doing it well or not-so-well), so it became my chore. And there were knobs of wood in certain places (roots of trees?), and so I've always thought of cutting the grass every time I hear the word "Woodlawn."

Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,336,577 times
If you're looking for a place to rent in or around Pittsburgh, place your post in the Pittsburgh segment of the forum. State what you are looking for and what you can afford and the folks there will find it for you or offer good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: