Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Neighborhood is Best for Me?
Lawrenceville 11 39.29%
Mt. Washington 17 60.71%
Other (Please Specify Below) 1 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry to hear about your transfer not working out. What happened?

I do hope you move up here anyway. I like it a lot more than DC. I always did, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
Bummer! Sorry that your transfer didn't work out. I did a similar thing back in the early 90s, except that I was able to move in with family. But, I have never found it difficult to find a job in the area. Look into temporary agencies also. I know that there are some in the area that specialize in accounting jobs. That can help with networking and sometimes lead to a permanent full-time job. I'm in a different field but did work as a temp back in the day. I did get offers -- some that I didn't want to take and one that worked for a while as a good transitional job to a better position. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:36 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
RR, sorry to hear your transfer fell through, but glad you are moving anyway. Noone should be as unhappy as you have been if they have the wherewithal to change it. I agree with Caladium about the job prospects.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
RR, I'm also sorry your transfer fell through. However, I would think twice before giving notice to your current employer if you don't already have other job prospects lined up. I don't doubt that someone with your energy could find some type of employment in Pittsburgh, but you may find it more difficult to line up a new position commensurate with your qualifications if you leave your first post-college job within less than two years of graduating, and without something else lined up. Maybe I'm being old-fashioned here, but I think some employers would have concerns about your commitment if you bail on a current employer in that manner.

Of course, if what you really want to do is work indefinitely at a Lowe's or Home Depot in Pittsburgh, that's another story.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Of course, if what you really want to do is work indefinitely at a Lowe's or Home Depot in Pittsburgh, that's another story.
Wow. Accentuate the positive.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:16 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Wow. Accentuate the positive.
Wasn't intended as snarky; RR has previously noted that he worked in retail and could see himself progressing up the management chain at a retail business like Lowe's. There's nothing wrong w/that; we all benefit when retail establishments are managed by people who like what they do and are good at it.

OTOH, if he wants to get into a mid-level accounting job in the Burgh, query whether he's better served (1) bailing on his current job in NoVa and taking a pay-the-rent retail position in the interim, or (2) remaining in his current auditor's job and working hard to line up something in the same field in Pittsburgh.

As I said, I'm surely old-fashioned in my thinking. It may be that, with all the employment losses of late, employers don't spend as much time looking as past employment history and just decide whether someone is qualified whenever a new position actually opens up. In my field, however, we'd still think twice about someone relatively junior who bailed on a first job within a relatively short period of time because they were "stressed out" by the city/region where they were living. You'd wonder how they'd be able to deal with a tough situation at work.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
I would also say that if you are SO depressed move here anyway. Staying there will do you more harm than good.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Wasn't intended as snarky; RR has previously noted that he worked in retail and could see himself progressing up the management chain at a retail business like Lowe's. There's nothing wrong w/that; we all benefit when retail establishments are managed by people who like what they do and are good at it.

OTOH, if he wants to get into a mid-level accounting job in the Burgh, query whether he's better served (1) bailing on his current job in NoVa and taking a pay-the-rent retail position in the interim, or (2) remaining in his current auditor's job and working hard to line up something in the same field in Pittsburgh.
I agree with this generally. If you're absolutely at the end of the rope, though, with the job being awful, and you have to quit for your own sanity, then go ahead and do it. (I have some recent personal experience with this, not myself, but someone else close. Reached the end, had to quit before finding another job.) But don't do it reactively just because the transfer didn't go. Take the time to think it through. If you can spare a bit more time down there, you may have time to actually find a job up here before quitting. Not so far away as to make a job search that hard.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM

156 posts, read 296,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I would also say that if you are SO depressed move here anyway. Staying there will do you more harm than good.
I agree. As you said in an earlier post (and echoed by others), you will be able to find sufficient employment to sustain youself at the beginning. No reason at all to believe that you will be stuck in the first job you take, as implied by a previous poster.

You have a good feeling about Pittsburgh, and have already made friends.

You clearly have much energy and imagination but your current situation isn't working for you.

I suggest you move here now. The issue isn't whether this is the best place to move or whether moving will maximize your career.

The issue is, your situation now is harming you.

It isn't rash to come here economically, and you had a good reaction to coming here.

Once you are comfortable, I have a feeling you will do very well! (I've read your posts here and also at 15211.org)

Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 PM

509 posts, read 974,681 times
Very sorry to hear your news. Just do not make a hasty decision. I know you are very unhappy here. Do not burn bridges at your employer. Also in this economy it is harder. If economy was better I would say go for it!

Last edited by ngadude; 11-09-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh