Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
The cost of candy is pretty minimal versus how damn exciting I remember halloween being as a kid.. So, I really don't mind rolling in from another neighborhood.
This is my view too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:01 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I don't think Jrn14 was speaking in terms of legally-enforceable rights. I took that turn of phrase just to mean that we should be generous about providing kids with a nice Halloween not because they have done something to earn one or because it serves some other purpose, but rather just because it is something kids really enjoy.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:22 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
We got 5 last night, a new low. Part of it is how it never seems to be on the date, perhaps, at least the last few years. (Seems like it can't be on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, and so many of the surrounding areas of Beaver County and even into Allegheny County follow this same pattern.)
Is this for real? Halloween is over? Kids won't be trick-or-treating on Sunday?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Is this for real? Halloween is over? Kids won't be trick-or-treating on Sunday?
Once I moved away from the Pgh area, I learned it is uncommon in the extreme anywhere else to set a specific Trick or Treat night with times. I have lived in 7 states, including different areas of NY, and different parts of PA and I've never heard of this anywhere else.

I remember one other year when Halloween was on a Sunday. It was before 1996, b/c my father was still alive. He asked me what night we were having Trick or Treating out here in CO. (He was a concilman in a little burb in Beaver County, and they had to proclaim a night every year.) I said, "Sunday of course". He was surprised. He wondered how people who didn't believe in doing things on Sunday (non-religious activities, anyway) would go for that. I said they didn't have much of a presence here. In a way, I can see Saturday (you can be sure there'll be a lot of activity on the college campuses Sat. night) when Halloween is on a Sunday, but I don't get Thursday at all. Does anyone know why this is done?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They have a "right" to nothing.
I have the right to give candy or not as I choose.
You sound hilariously stodgy for a "hippie." Is this a matter of real concern for you? Who cares?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Once I moved away from the Pgh area, I learned it is uncommon in the extreme anywhere else to set a specific Trick or Treat night with times. I have lived in 7 states, including different areas of NY, and different parts of PA and I've never heard of this anywhere else.
When I look at a listing of times around here, it's funny to see the blocks of areas that do it differently. There's a clear block in this area that seems to arrange it together, and as far as I can tell it will never be on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I don't believe it's always Thursday, though.

What's weird is that I grew up in a place (in eastern WV) where it was always specified on a Friday. Always, always. They had a fun night event at the local elementary school that happened after trick or treating. It was meant to go together, and it ran late so couldn't be on a school night. Have no idea if that's what they still do, but it was like that the entire several years that I actually participated and for at least the years after that I still lived there.

So I probably have spent much of my life in the only two places that do this.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
When I look at a listing of times around here, it's funny to see the blocks of areas that do it differently. There's a clear block in this area that seems to arrange it together, and as far as I can tell it will never be on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I don't believe it's always Thursday, though.
I looked at the list a little while ago, and found it interesting that in Allegheny County, only the northwestern most suburbs (Moon, Coraopolis, Leet, Leetsdale, Crescent) held it last night (Thursday the 28th), just like most of Beaver County, while most of the rest of Allegheny County has it scheduled for the 31st.

At least it won't conflict with the Stillers...

Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
At least it won't conflict with the Stillers...
That was probably the point, LOL!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Friday - high school football maybe?
Saturday - no idea

Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Yeah, I've always assumed no Friday was because of high school football. Not sure why no Saturday though. No Sunday this year could have been because of the Steelers (they're in the Sunday night game) but that doesn't explain why nobody else changed it.

2008 is when the 31st was on Friday. I don't actually remember if a lot more places than usual bumped it to Thursday that year or not. The high school football stuff is pretty big. The years before that I think here it was on the 31st, then getting back to 2004, when the 31st was on Sunday, and 2003 when the 31st was on Friday, I don't remember what happened.

The next few years here should be pretty normal. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday. Then we'll be back to Friday the 31st again in 2014. (Jumps 2 days in 2012 for the leap year.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh