Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 AM

294 posts, read 659,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
With the exception of commute times, they're all fairly comparable. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Oakmont doesn't have as much wealth surrounding the area as Aspinwall and Sewickley.

Aspinwall has the easiest commute to Pittsburgh.

Aspinwall also has the most convenient shopping with Waterworks right up the road.

Aspinwall and Sewickly have better school districts than Oakmont, but Apsinwall has a better school district than Sewickley.

I guess Aspinwall wins by a nose.
Quaker Valley is actually ranked slightly higher than Fox Chapel, though its very close to where it almost doesn't make a difference. Quaker Valley is smaller and more intimate though. (Which can be a good or a bad thing)They also have two really great private schools in Sewickley and Shadyshide Academies.

For shopping they both have nice little downtowns with unique little stores to shop in, but as you mentioned Aspinwall and Fox Chapel are probably closer to a larger shopping area than Sewickley. However, the great thing about Sewickley that most people probably don't know, is that it is located in a absolutely prime location for shopping variety. If you drew a diamond from Robinson Mall to Ross Park mall to Cranberry to Beaver Valley mall, guess what would be right in between? SEWICKLEY. This is probably one of the reasons why so many people with money flock here.

As for proximity to the city, Sewickley is definitely a little farther of a drive, but has a much faster and newer road in the Ohio River Boulevard. I have heard that during rush hour 65 actually moves faster the closer you get to the city. On the other hand 28 might be one of the worse roads to drive into/out of the city on, since it is basically an old and crumbling highway not built to handle the current traffic load.

Using the above criteria, its too close to call which place is better and it would basically come down to personal preference. So I would add one more very important category, which is proximity to the airport. I know, you probably new that was coming as I am obviously a little bias here but it is extremely convenient living very close to the airport. Yet far enough that you never get bothered by the noise from the planes.

It was a really close call but in the end, the Aiport proximity breaks the tie and it comes down to Sewickley by a nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
I can't speak for the other 2 but, I grew up near Oakmont and it is a very nice area.When I consider moving,Oakmont will be at the top of my list.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:17 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
I used to live in Aspinwall and Oakmont and here are my thoughts. Aspinwall feeds into the Fox Chapel School district which is pretty good. Sewickley feeds into Quaker Valley which is a bit smaller and also pretty good. Oakmont is Riverview which is not that good. One has to realize that the affluent kids from these school district are not going to public schools.

I would not want to commute to town from Oakmont. Sewickley is further out but a less stressful commute than Aspinwall due t Route 28 being a mess.

With regard to the towns. Aspinwall has a very small business district and since the community is very small it is walkable. Oakmont is bigger business district and since it sits on a hill is not that walkable. Sewickley is the nicest town and is pretty big and is walkable.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Oakmont is bigger business district and since it sits on a hill is not that walkable.
This is half right - Oakmont does have a bigger business district, but it is not on a hill, and it is very flat and walkable. The whole of Oakmont is on a hill, but the business district is at the bottom of the hill where it is flat.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
Oakmont is very walkable. A lot of people from out of town come here to walk on the trail along the tracks, around the track in the park and the the hiking trails in Dark Hollow. Crystal Drive is also popular for walking and jogging. I wouldn't go to Aspinwall if I wanted to walk because it's too small. I'm not familiar with Sewickley.

Two weeks ago I drove to downtown from Oakmont, parked on 7th Street and out of my car in under 20 minutes using Rt. 28. Did my business and was back home in an hour. 3:30PM - 4:30PM on a Friday. The drive to downtown from Oakmont isn't bad at all., just don't use A.R.B. They aren't working on Rt. 28 this time of year.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:38 PM

32 posts, read 124,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Oakmont is very walkable. A lot of people from out of town come here to walk on the trail along the tracks, around the track in the park and the the hiking trails in Dark Hollow. Crystal Drive is also popular for walking and jogging. I wouldn't go to Aspinwall if I wanted to walk because it's too small. I'm not familiar with Sewickley.

Two weeks ago I drove to downtown from Oakmont, parked on 7th Street and out of my car in under 20 minutes using Rt. 28. Did my business and was back home in an hour. 3:30PM - 4:30PM on a Friday. The drive to downtown from Oakmont isn't bad at all., just don't use A.R.B. They aren't working on Rt. 28 this time of year.
As far as I can tell the work is done for the season.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Oakmont is walkable if you are only walking up and down the Allegheny River Blvd. Basically you have to drive there and then walk. It is not walkable if you are trying to walk to a store from your house on top of the hill.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
I agree. I did it twice out of need. I ran out of smokes one night when there was 15" of snow and even Hulton Road hadn't been touched. To keep going I told myself how good this is for my health . . . while puffing on a cigarette. The other time I dropped the car off on Plum St., took it to 6th then cut up College Ave. I was praying to God for a flat spot to rest before reaching 8th St., and had to go to nearly 15th. After 8th it was pretty easy.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM

32 posts, read 124,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Oakmont is walkable if you are only walking up and down the Allegheny River Blvd. Basically you have to drive there and then walk. It is not walkable if you are trying to walk to a store from your house on top of the hill.

I do it every other Day, but then again I am only 66.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesach View Post
I do it every other Day, but then again I am only 66.

lightweight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh