Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:53 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I doubt he'll run into problems in kindergarten, but it's good that you're considering his overall future education.

Have you considered a Catholic school like St. Bede in Point Breeze? They are relatively affordable---a few hundred dollars per month. I just looked up St. Bede's tuition and it's $1,400-$4,680 per year. There are other Catholic schools that are $2,600 per year. I found a tuition list of some private schools, but it's not all inclusive because I noticed that St. Raphael in Morningside isn't on the list. I'm sure St. Raphael is cheaper than St. Bede.

Don't count on much tuition assistance from the Catholic schools though. Their idea of tuition assistance is a laughable few hundred dollars per year.

I highly recommend looking into all options. Here's the list: WQED Multimedia (broken link)

Also, don't be afraid of Winchester Thurston and Shadyside Academy. They both have scholarship programs. It's entirely possible that your child could attend those at a very minimal cost.
Hopes,
I really appreciate all of your insight on the situation. I initially looked at both Winchester and Shady Side Academy, as well as the Carlow Campus School and Kentucky Avenue School and was blown away by the tuition. He currently attends the Point Park Childrens School and is getting an above average quality education. I want him to continue to move forward in his learning. Point Park is one of the better preschool programs in the city. I might try some of these schools to see what happens. I never even considered the catholic school route. I did hear that the St. Edmunds Academy works very hard to diversify its student body and they work with minority families to make it more affordable. Thank you for all of your help. I have a year to figure this all out. My son turns five this year but it is not until the end of October so he has to spend another year at Point Park. Much to my checkbook's dislike. LOL.........thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 03:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
You're welcome, Princesspolamalu!

My son is 15 years old, and I'm still dealing with education struggles.

I've had him in public (k-4), catholic (5-7), private (8), and cyber (9)!

Granted, he would have stayed in private; however, he went on a medical leave of absence for 9th grade.

Cyber seemed the best alternative than having a few hours of homebound instruction.

We're not sure where we're going with it next year. There are still some health issues we need to resolve over the summer before we make the decision.

Good luck in your search! I do know what it's like!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,483 times
Quote:
Median family income is $18,625 in Rankin and $74,969 in Churchill.
I used wikipedia and they said 13k and 67k...either way...it doesn't really change the conclusions.

Quote:
The difference between a family making $18,625 and a family making $30,000 is that the family making $30,000 doesn't qualify for many services whereas the family making $18,625 receives assistance. That assistance can make a huge difference. I'm not saying that it's great by a long shot but free or reduced rent, food stamps, medical assistance, energy assistance, etc. can make a huge difference. Families that are just outside of qualifying for assistance can actually suffer more than the families that qualify for assistance. And trust me, crack is a huge problem in Sharpsburg regardless of if they're paying for it with food stamps or cash.
Apparently I'm not as funny as I think.

Anyway, the real difference is between 18k and 30k is some one who can learn a trade and hold a steady job, vs some one who flips burgers and changes jobs monthly...These are two different classes of people.

And just to reiterate...this is not a disagreement, we're on the same page and discussing minutia.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,868 times
Hello,
As a recent grad of good ol' Woody High I cannot sing its praises enough! In my twelve years of school there I never once had a racial tension issue. The only place that I have ever heard of these supposed issues is in the media. Don't listen to everything you hear!
I was very well prepared for my college career at a top rated school and I was given an academic scholarship. My favorite memories will always be performing with the Woodland Hills ensembles. Please don't deny your child the chance at a wonderful school career because of how things were 20 years ago when the district was formed.
Thank you for your consideration.
PS if you really want to know how the school environment is go to a football game at the Wolverina, or talk to the staff (who are all woodland hills students) at Drew's on Ardmore. Or even better take a tour or the schools!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
I used wikipedia and they said 13k and 67k...either way...it doesn't really change the conclusions.
Look at wiki again. You picked "household" income and I picked "family" income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95
Apparently I'm not as funny as I think.
Usually you are! I just didn't realize you were being funny this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95
And just to reiterate...this is not a disagreement, we're on the same page and discussing minutia.
I know!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisinger View Post
Hello,
As a recent grad of good ol' Woody High I cannot sing its praises enough! In my twelve years of school there I never once had a racial tension issue. The only place that I have ever heard of these supposed issues is in the media. Don't listen to everything you hear!
I was very well prepared for my college career at a top rated school and I was given an academic scholarship. My favorite memories will always be performing with the Woodland Hills ensembles. Please don't deny your child the chance at a wonderful school career because of how things were 20 years ago when the district was formed.
PS if you really want to know how the school environment is go to a football game at the Wolverina, or talk to the staff (who are all woodland hills students) at Drew's on Ardmore. Or even better take a tour or the schools!
Then why was one cyber school orientation filled with parents pulling their children from the Woodland Hills School District? They didn't all just suddenly decide to bail out of there for no reason. They said they were taking their children out becasue of the racial problems. There were parents from all races, not just one.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,975 times
Quote:
And trust me, crack is a huge problem in Sharpsburg
Really? Why is this?

CaptainO

Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 AM

325 posts, read 1,077,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisinger View Post
Hello,
Thank you for this positive feedback.....I live in the area an am very familiar with drews. I appreciate everyone's feedback. My son would be going to Edgewood Primary do you know where those students go to middle school by chance. I have noticed that Woody High is excellent in football and a lot of their students go on to division one schools and in some cases the NFL. I also noticed that the school is always nomimated for a number of Gene Kelly Awards for their school play. I dont know much about the academic curriculum but you have provided a bit of insight on that.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,815 times
Hi, I graduated from Woodland Hills about three years ago, and I thought I would give you a summary of my experience there. I started in the district in 5th grade, so I didn't go to primary school there, but my brother did. After primary, the kids go to either Rankin, Fairless, or Dickson, depending on where you live. Jr. high is West or East, and finally everyone attends the High School together.

The merger happened 25 years ago. Most people who attend the high school have grown up together. Apparently there was racial tension in the very beginning, but now it isn't a factor. I have never experienced whatever people are saying. There are alot of poorer students who are in the school, and it is more of economic hardships that leads to any aggression. As for parents pulling their kids from WH, usually it is white parents whose children's previous schools ended in 8th grade, enroll their kids in the high school and then get scared off by all the "rumors".

The high school provides so many opportunities for the students, from all the extracurricular activities to the eleven AP course that you can take. I go to a private university now on scholarships. The experience of attending a school that is half white half black had kept me naive to what real racism is. As one of my friends who graduated with me joked "After leaving Woody High and going to college, you are either white and find people who are afraid of black people, or you are black and find people who are afraid of you".

Sorry for the long post!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveoncoffee View Post
As for parents pulling their kids from WH, usually it is white parents whose children's previous schools ended in 8th grade, enroll their kids in the high school and then get scared off by all the "rumors".
Maybe it's changed since you graduated three years ago. My husband said that both black and white parents were pulling their children out of the district this past school year. They didn't do it because of rumors either. They pulled them out during the school year---right before the fourth quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh