Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 11:15 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Big thumbs up for Penn Hills School District for being proactive. This is a smart move on so many levels. I think all the larger districts should do this.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/penn...MYSSOVZWGWBEY/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 12:01 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Great to see them realizing a problem and doing something about it.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Great to see them realizing a problem and doing something about it.
Well I was thinking of school mass shootings. This isn't a bad idea for any of the larger districts. I don't thing the smaller ones could afford it, but safety is a good thing.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well I was thinking of school mass shootings. This isn't a bad idea for any of the larger districts. I don't thing the smaller ones could afford it, but safety is a good thing.
Of course. Put a cop in schools just like they did in NC recently. Helps with students unable to behave and with mass shooters. Win win

Old 08-11-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Of course. Put a cop in schools just like they did in NC recently. Helps with students unable to behave and with mass shooters. Win win
I don't think "armed guards" are necessary, but if you are going to have a hired person or people to be there, they should be armed for the just in case situations. We all knew the idiot selfish kids in Columbine school shooting would be copycatted like crazy and of course they where. I don't think Penn Hills students need an armed person, it is the outsiders that could get into the school. I am glad they are real about it. Well done for them.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't think "armed guards" are necessary, but if you are going to have a hired person or people to be there, they should be armed for the just in case situations. We all knew the idiot selfish kids in Columbine school shooting would be copycatted like crazy and of course they where. I don't think Penn Hills students need an armed person, it is the outsiders that could get into the school. I am glad they are real about it. Well done for them.
Who would be the armed hired persons you speak of?

Old 08-11-2022, 02:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,396,252 times
Does Pittsburgh still have it's own school police department. In upper st clair we started to meet the police from early elementary school. They did antismoking demonstrations, safety classes and gave presentations all the way through high school. I personally knew almost all the local officers just from school visits. It will be a good thing if they became involved with the kids at a young age to help guide and mentor them as well as offer protection services.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Does Pittsburgh still have it's own school police department. In upper st clair we started to meet the police from early elementary school. They did antismoking demonstrations, safety classes and gave presentations all the way through high school. I personally knew almost all the local officers just from school visits. It will be a good thing if they became involved with the kids at a young age to help guide and mentor them as well as offer protection services.
I was wondering this as well. I think they do, but not sure. I haven't seen their white and green SUV's around much, but not looking for them really. I hope they have some protection. Not from the students as much as from the outside. At least that is how I feel.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:56 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
I know a couple of guys that were guards in the Penn Hills SD, at an elementary school. All were former officers/detectives, some who had retired from PHPD. They were not allowed to carry weapons. But trust me, they had them stashed in their trunks.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I know a couple of guys that were guards in the Penn Hills SD, at an elementary school. All were former officers/detectives, some who had retired from PHPD. They were not allowed to carry weapons. But trust me, they had them stashed in their trunks.
Nice to know they had highly trained guards there. Doesn’t surprise me. Penn Hills still is a good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh