Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times

Advertisements

I was going to say Squirrel Hill. A block or so off of Forbes can feel quite suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Nice suggestions, but those neighborhood don't offer amenities the other neighborhoods do...granted Summerset depends on Squirrel Hill/Greenfield and the Waterfront for amenities but its alot closer virtually next door...Summerset maybe out because if she gets a job with good PAT service i.e Downtown then she'll want to have PAT access.

Aspinwall has its own Business District and Waterworks

Mt Leb has everything one would need.
I'd agree neither Summerset or Swisshelm Park compare to Aspinwall or Mt. Lebo for having their own amenities. However, by the same measure as above, Swisshelm Park is a lot closer to Edgewood Town Center and the Swissvale business district than Summerset. It also has bus service (at least for now, but the service reduction plans I've seen don't include elimination of the P71 Swisshelm Park-Rankin Flyer). IMO, Swisshelm Park and Summerset are almost equally convenient to the businesses in Greenfield, Sq. Hill, Edgewood, and Swissvale, except after a snowstorm when traveling on Commercial can be hazardous.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:28 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Yeah, it also depends on whether you see this as a serious neighborhood-hunting trip, or more of just a chance to wow her. For example, although Aspinwall would be an absolutely lovely place to live, you have to pass through that really nasty part of Sharpsburg (unless you come from the north or west!). I might skip Aspinwall this trip -- or take some crazy back route to get there -- if the goal is more just to convince her that the area is nice.
Well her and her hubby are def getting out of NYC the Metro area even - also suggested Philadelphia, but they thought it was too close to NYC...but they still want to be in Driving distance...also they're also considering NOVA, the Carolinas and Upstate NY..

Ofcourse she coming 1st to see if Pittsburgh is the real deal on what she's looking for...That can be accomplished in same day, I can still show them the neighborhood and housing that provides the lifestyle they want....

the reason for my title is they want City - Amenities, still having PAT access, Sidewalks, Streetlights, Basic Needs close by....Suburb - Quiet, Neighborly, Saftey, Larger area of land.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Does she plan to have a car?
They are planning to have a car (Not one currently this is NYC).....but they dont want to be dependant on the car....They would like to have PAT access to/from work atleast...but also depends on where she finds a job. The Hubby will be Working from home or in NYC.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:48 PM

356 posts, read 916,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
the reason for my title is they want City - Amenities, still having PAT access, Sidewalks, Streetlights, Basic Needs close by....Suburb - Quiet, Neighborly, Saftey, Larger area of land.
I would add South Point Breeze to your list. Nice treelined streets, good spacing between the houses (at least by city standards), one of the safest neighborhoods.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 PM

398 posts, read 702,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
I'd agree neither Summerset or Swisshelm Park compare to Aspinwall or Mt. Lebo for having their own amenities. However, by the same measure as above, Swisshelm Park is a lot closer to Edgewood Town Center and the Swissvale business district than Summerset.
I'd wager that two people in finance would not consider Edgewood Town Center or the Swissvale business district to qualify as what they mean by "amenities".

Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Because I usually do, I'll throw in suggestions for Brookline and Dormont.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
I'd wager that two people in finance would not consider Edgewood Town Center or the Swissvale business district to qualify as what they mean by "amenities".
You could be right, but I don't necessarily equate "finance" with "elitist snobs."

Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM

398 posts, read 702,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
"elitist snobs."
These words do not mean what you think they mean.

Sigh. Can't we do without another thread in which people get massively bent out of shape because other people have... different preferences and behaviors?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 PM

Who's bent out of shape? I'm merely suggesting that a grocery store, a post office, a drug store, a department store, several restaurants, etc. might be considered amenities by some, regardless of their zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh