Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 AM

32 posts, read 124,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
There are a few McGinnis Sisters around, aren't there?..maybe I've not been to the right one(s). Where's the original one? The only one I've been to was right off of 51. Come to think of it...Isn't John McGinnis the one on TV claiming he is Pittsburgh's Purveyor of Fine Foods? I am not sure John McGinnis has anything to do with McGinnis Sisters. He says he is "Off Rt 88 near Castle Shannon" I am confusing myself now.... help!

Captain
The store that I go to is on Northern Pike in Monroeville.

I don't know who John Mcginnis is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesach View Post
The store that I go to is on Northern Pike in Monroeville.

I don't know who John Mcginnis is.
I haven't been to the one in Monroeville. I will check it out. The one on 51 is small and doesn't have much variety.

John McGinnis, I think, used to be part of the McGinnis Sisters stores. Then, for whatever reason, split from the rest of the family and opened his own shop in Castle Shannon. He has commercials on TV proclaiming the "HE is Pittsburgh's purveyor of fine foods" (as if to say THEY are not).

Captain

Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks Captain.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,293 times
Thumbs up Free Range Meats

John McGinnis Co is located right on Rt. 88. Coming from the city, it is on your right about 5 miles south on 88. They don't seem to have a website. It has Boar's Head meats, which are from the Amish. They are are fabulous!

Also, Market Day Giant Eagles (the one I know of is in Bethel Park) has a whole free-range section.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:27 AM

21 posts, read 84,492 times
Um - what is "Market Day Giant Eagles"? We're near the Giant Eagle at Waterworks, and the only Free Range meat I found there was frozen burgers.
Thanks to whoever suggested Wholefoods - brilliant selection of stuff. Some of it seems extremely over-priced, but the meats there are about what I would expect to pay for free-range in Britain and the quality of what we've had so far was excellent. I went on a tour of the Strip district and the guide made a point of showing us a shop selling rabbit meat (is it uncommon here?). Someone asked her what it tastes like, and she said "Kinda like chicken, it has no flavour so you have to add flavourings to it". I was stunned. A good free range chicken tastes fabulous. Does America have the equivalent of our Freedom Foods? (RSPCA || RSPCA Welfare Standards)
Thanks for all these interesting suggestions, folk. I'm going to have lots of fun trying out the various places.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Um - what is "Market Day Giant Eagles"? We're near the Giant Eagle at Waterworks, and the only Free Range meat I found there was frozen burgers.
Thanks to whoever suggested Wholefoods - brilliant selection of stuff. Some of it seems extremely over-priced, but the meats there are about what I would expect to pay for free-range in Britain and the quality of what we've had so far was excellent. I went on a tour of the Strip district and the guide made a point of showing us a shop selling rabbit meat (is it uncommon here?). Someone asked her what it tastes like, and she said "Kinda like chicken, it has no flavour so you have to add flavourings to it". I was stunned. A good free range chicken tastes fabulous. Does America have the equivalent of our Freedom Foods? (RSPCA || RSPCA Welfare Standards)
Thanks for all these interesting suggestions, folk. I'm going to have lots of fun trying out the various places.
I have been told that rabbit taste like chicken and opossum taste's like groundhog and groundhog tastes like beaver.

Yuk to all except chicken.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM

21 posts, read 84,492 times
"Yuk to all except chicken."
Absolutely - though it's lucky we have the choice. I Googled "what does beaver taste like" and got far more information than I wanted...

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
I've found that people that say chicken has no flavor aren't cooking it right. Most people cook chicken until it's dried out. I cook it till it reaches the right internal temp.... and not till the timer bings... depending on the size of the cut a BIG difference.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:17 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times
Default Herb Brittner's Smokehouse and Radiator Shop

An unconventional place and name, but I (among many others) reccommend Herb Brittner's Smokehouse and Radiator Shop for their meat.

Located off of I-79 in Zelienople PA. Coming north on 79, take the Zelienople exit, turn right at the bottom of the exit, go approx 1/4 mile, you'll see the sign on the right.

Excellent meat!

blessings, Shen

Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times
Quote:
Um - what is "Market Day Giant Eagles"
They meant "Market District" Giant Eagle. Market District is Giant Eagle's own brand (private-label) "gormet" food. They recently opened two stores that exclusively sell "higher-end" products, and thus named them "Market District". There is one in Shadyside and one in Bethel Park.

Here's a link to their web page...Market District

Captain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh