Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:48 PM

206 posts, read 688,641 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, I like the Southside Works just fine -- would like it better if I could afford anything other than a burrito over there, but it is really nice, great fountain for the kids, love having a movie theater close by, and the new park they're building down by the river looks like it will be very nice.

But all that said, the South Side really isn't arty anymore. It's past that phase -- which is perfectly normal -- but I just wouldn't send a young person who is looking for artsy-funky there any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 05:50 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
would like it better if I could afford anything other than a burrito over there
lol!
Quote:
and the new park they're building down by the river looks like it will be very nice
Wha??? I haven't been down there since June when I left for Florida.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 PM

North of the Southside Works proper they are turning that whole big stretch that's above the train tunnel into a park. It's going to connect up the bike trails and to the new Hot Metal bicycle/pedestrian bridge that is being built right now. When it's done you'll be able to bike from Sandcastle to Washington's Landing -- maybe further, I forget. Someday the rails-to-trails project will mean that you can ride all the way south to Maryland, but one of the last inacessible spots is through Sandcastle -- the railroad that owns that stretch does not want to grant access apparently. :-(

Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
North of the Southside Works proper they are turning that whole big stretch that's above the train tunnel into a park. It's going to connect up the bike trails and to the new Hot Metal bicycle/pedestrian bridge that is being built right now. When it's done you'll be able to bike from Sandcastle to Washington's Landing -- maybe further, I forget. Someday the rails-to-trails project will mean that you can ride all the way south to Maryland, but one of the last inacessible spots is through Sandcastle -- the railroad that owns that stretch does not want to grant access apparently. :-(
Hmm, I hadn't heard about some of that. I wonder when they'll buy even more land to expand. You know they will.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 PM

Now that you mention it, they were going to try to build some big wonking hotel down there, but of course they wanted to exceed the height limitations by quite a bit, but the city council turned them down on the grounds it would block the view of the river from a lot of uphill houses. The park I was talking about is a city park -- the whole SS Works development is a private development on city land, from what I understand, so the city still holds title. Not too much room to expand now -- there's an office park and the Federal Center just to the east...

Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Not too much room to expand now -- there's an office park and the Federal Center just to the east...
When I lived at the Flats they were already talking about expanding across the street and had hoped to keep buying more property as people decided to let it be sold like the Good Will there etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh