Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,173 times

Advertisements

I recently began attending Allegheny Center Alliance Church on East Ohio St. in the North Side. I would appreciate it if some folks would share their viewpoints concerning safety in this area. I am from a large urban area out of state. Until a recent, very threatening encounter, I thought the main drag leading to the church (i.e., East Ohio St.) appeared to be quite safe. Now I am thinking perhaps I was very wrong. Either way, I'd love to hear from some of you all. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:55 PM

76 posts, read 157,296 times
I am not sure why no one has answered your question yet; a lot of the people who are active on this forum are from the Northside or are obsessed with it...(I am in the latter category.)

Anyway, according to Spotcrime.com and the Pittsburgh Police Zone 1 blotter, E Ohio, Cedar, Allegheny, and Brighton are where the trouble is; of course these are the high traffic roads for the NS so thats to be expected. I have spent a lot of time around there, taking pictures, going to museums etc. and never once had an issue. But I am like a cowardly squirrel, always very aware of whats going on around me because I usually have my 4 year old son with me...

I am sorry you had a bad experience. One solution might be to invite someone to go with you to your church.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
I , too am sorry to hear you've had a recent bad experience.
I used to work on the NS , but I didn't respond to your inquiry b/c it's been years since I've worked in that area and don't know what the exact vibe is there of late.
I do know that the whole area has had an ongoing battle with drugs and crime for years.It's a shame they have that element there when there has been so much renovation with Mex. War Sts along with the high interest in development of the area.
I think Ossewa's suggestion to not go alone is perfect. There may be a carpool among churchmembers that would be the safest alternative to check into.
Stay safe!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM

119 posts, read 460,288 times
I walk around the area often, but because I work with a lot of youth in the apartments across from the church, and know a lot of folks in the immediate neighborhood, I never really feel threatened. By now I'm used to being around panhandlers and men who talk really loud and dress like thugs. That said, if the East Ohio St district and 'the Commons' across the street from the church make you nervous, just park in the church lots or the parking garage at Allegheny Center, which is free on Sundays.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,173 times
Thanks, everyone. Your responses have been helpful. I am going to check out the Spotcrime Web site. I will also check with a couple of people about a car pool, although I have a feeling that part could be tough to work out. I may also end up looking for a church in a different area so that I can attend various things at different times of day/night without being so afraid (I'm not a wimp, and I understand that crime can happen anywhere, but my experience last weekend makes me want to never be there alone again). Thanks again for the thoughtful replies and suggestions!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 AM

31 posts, read 102,759 times
I've been living in Harlem for the past ten years, so when people yell at me on East Ohio, it feels quaint.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,880 times
I'm sorry to hear about your encounter. I've been going to ACAC since August. I attend church on Sun. morning, took a class on Sat. night for a while and Wed. nights have a group and my kids attend clubs at the church. I truly have not had a bad experience yet. Hopefully I did not just jinx myself. If you drive there are a lot of parking options. You can request a sticker at one of the information desks in the church that allows you to park in the lot behind the church and behind Union Place and in the garage across the street.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
When I used to have Pirate season tickets, my wife and I would park by the Church for free. NEVER had a problem, but then again, we were always with a crowd. Sorry to hear about your experience, but if you park along the meters I would thing you'd be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: