Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

Just a small diversion of commuters to transit can significantly reduce highway congestion. Conversely, if the state doesn't find a way to avoid cutting transit funding, PAT will be forced to cut service, and that in turn will increase local congestion as commuters are forced back into cars. Here is a great graphic from the City Paper illustrating the predicted effects:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 AM

178 posts, read 399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Conversely, if the state doesn't find a way to avoid cutting transit funding, PAT will be forced to cut service,
Oh really? Is that a fact? "Forced to cut service"?

What a joke.

Cutting service is a threat with the intention of obtaining as much tax dollars as possible. You don't see through this game?

Let's see if we can come up with any ideas on how PAT can prevent cutting service despite funding cuts.

Wow, a light bulb just went off in my head. How about PAT cuts inefficiencies and bloated salaries and pension benefits instead of service?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:38 AM

In recent years, PAT has already been increasing its operating efficiency and trimming its labor costs. It also can't just unilaterally act on labor issues, because it has contracts.

Meanwhile, it isn't like PAT is asking for something new from the state. The state has always made a contribution to PAT, which is only fair, since the people riding PAT, and the commuters benefiting from PAT service even if they don't ride, pay state taxes too. But the state, not PAT, decided to tie a portion of its transportation funding for this upcoming year to the I-80 toll (note that a majority of the toll was supposed to go to roads, not public transit), which wasn't allowed by the feds. So unless the state acts, PAT will be facing a dramatic funding CUT--it isn't looking for a dramatic funding increase, as some like to imply.

Of course it is fine to continue to push PAT to become more efficient, including with respect to labor costs. But that is a long-term process. The immediate problem is that if the state does cut its funding, both transit and non-transit commuters throughout the Pittsburgh region are going to suffer, as will the Pittsburgh economy in general. And bashing PAT isn't going to stop that from happening.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
Oh my goodness, as if traffic isn't bad enough for a city our size. Please don't add anymore vehicles to the Parkway!

Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Oh my goodness, as if traffic isn't bad enough for a city our size. Please don't add anymore vehicles to the Parkway!
Thank you for adding that clarifying part of your statement. Pittsburgh's traffic is abysmal for a city of just 300,000, but as far as traffic in general is concerned yinz all ain't got nuthin' on NoVA!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM

398 posts, read 701,891 times
"The official Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), SPC directs the use of all state and federal transportation and economic development funds allocated to the region---approximately $33 billion through 2030."

A bureaucracy predicts dire consequences if its trough is allowed to empty a little.

Second verse, same as the first.

Interesting that there's no link or source for the graphic. I can't find any mention of it on the SPC website.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:38 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
move closer to work
carpool
negotiate with employer to work from home more
negotiate with employer to change start and finish times to avoid traffic
combine daily errands

suggestions for avoiding the misery.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 AM

As I noted in the OP, the source for the graphic was the City Paper. I directly linked the graphic, but here it is in context:

Traffic Trouble - News - Pittsburgh City Paper

I agree that if we decide to permanently reduce public funding for transportation, the only real solution will be that more people will have to live in dense residential clusters closer to their place of employment. Telecommuting and flexible hours will help, but the penetration of such programs seems to be limited by employer-side factors.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 AM

By the way, a bunch of entities representing the Pittsburgh business community are also trying to communicate the same basic message about the dire effects of cutting state funding for local transportation projects and transit services. That group includes the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce, VisitPittsburgh, and the Allegheny Conference on Community Development:

Leaders warn of transportation cuts' impact on region

As mentioned in the article, here is an advocacy website they have established:

keepPGHmoving - Welcome.

I am offering this in part to debunk the notion that it is only transit and transportation authorities who oppose cutting state funding for local transportation and transit.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
I think Harrisburg needs to restructure both the PAT and SEPTA aka the 2 most backward systems in the Northeast... They redid the Keystone service and it runs on a profit , i'm not saying that the PAT or Septa could run on profits but they really need to redo the system. PA is the transit punching bag for the NE , the fact that all your neighbors are redoing there systems and management setups must really tell you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh