Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 04:54 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,610,324 times

Advertisements

What and where are the best places to work at in our area? I know they are probably few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,350,417 times
The Veterans Hospital on Highland Drive. Everyone seems happy and under no pressure to work much or too hard as if there's a law against it. The employees spend parts of their day visiting and talking with friends. Over 1,000 work there and it can be like a small city. Underground tunnels link the main buildings so when there's bad weather you can get from here to there without going outside.

Jobs available with details and starting salary are posted regularly if you know where to look. Positions are often filled in less than a day. People who work there tell their friends. It's very difficult to get in but very worth the effort.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,610,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The Veterans Hospital on Highland Drive. Everyone seems happy and under no pressure to work much or too hard as if there's a law against it. The employees spend parts of their day visiting and talking with friends. Over 1,000 work there and it can be like a small city. Underground tunnels link the main buildings so when there's bad weather you can get from here to there without going outside.

Jobs available with details and starting salary are posted regularly if you know where to look. Positions are often filled in less than a day. People who work there tell their friends. It's very difficult to get in but very worth the effort.
I just checked thier current listings, it looks like they pay pretty good too!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,191,498 times
Quote:
Everyone seems happy and under no pressure to work much or too hard as if there's a law against it. The employees spend parts of their day visiting and talking with friends.
It's funny how people's standards differ. That place would be hell on earth for me. I'm not a workaholic, but if I'm going to be on the clock, I need to feel productive. Standing and BSing, or simply pacing my work to fill up a set amount of hours just drives me nuts. If I'm not being fully productive, I'd just as soon be at home. I'll even go as far as to say that I find it hard to respect people who would consider such a workplace as ideal.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:41 PM

32,612 posts, read 77,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
It's funny how people's standards differ. That place would be hell on earth for me. I'm not a workaholic, but if I'm going to be on the clock, I need to feel productive. Standing and BSing, or simply pacing my work to fill up a set amount of hours just drives me nuts. If I'm not being fully productive, I'd just as soon be at home. I'll even go as far as to say that I find it hard to respect people who would consider such a workplace as ideal.
Yep. As a current Federal employee I was never able to successfully transition from running around like a chicken with my head cut off in the private-sector through high school and college to "take it easy" or "slow and steady wins the race" now in the public sector. I felt like such a waste as I collected a paycheck that this guilty conscience within me has finally prompted me to relocate to a new city and look for an "in" back with the private sector.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM

780 posts, read 1,379,327 times
Great Places to Work - Pittsburgh Magazine - October 2010 - Pittsburgh, PA

Old 11-16-2010, 06:53 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,698,414 times
Good link!

This looks like a more reliable source than alot of articles I've seen that mention great places to work. Many I've seen are companies who have enough money to pay off a magazine/blog to put them on a list.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,350,417 times
Alcoma Dental Center is on that list. Great place to work, horrible place to have dental work done.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,690,412 times
I have friends working at a few of those companies on that list and they're all extremely happy with their jobs.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 AM

315 posts, read 663,198 times
That list kinda sucks because altogether it's like 2000 jobs, maybe less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh