Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 PM

25 posts, read 132,024 times

Advertisements

TRO Z: Thanks for all the Mt. Lebo info...it seems a bit remote, but the houses are sooo adorable - it's tempting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:24 PM

105 posts, read 366,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, no, there isn't. I would not recommend doing so to anyone, especially if they have kids to support. I have sounded similar cautions on the Colorado/Denver forums. Unless you are independently wealthy (I am not) you should not move somewhere waiting for a "comeback".
Fair enough.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I am from Pittsburgh. I don't live there any more. I left to get married. Have not lived there since the 1980s. I have had family in the area continuously, though both parents are now residing at the Beaver Falls Cemetary. My brother lives in Moon Twp and his son moved to Pgh lastfall from Colorado. I live in Colorado.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,210 times
Default a comeback?

It also depends on what your definition of "comeback" is.

Should anyone expect a booming city like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, etc? A quick jump back to a population of 900K or so? I doubt it anytime soon.

I'm hoping for slow and steady growth. A population that increases over time. An area that becomes more livable with more amenities.

I think that's possible in all of our lifetimes.

-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I truly doubt it will happen in my lifetime, and that is not meant to be sarcastic.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/103233/Best-Places-to-Live (broken link)

Here is where I live. Gotta brag a little! The article is overblown, but fairly accurate.

And as has been noted on this forum before, Pittsburgh is not growing, at all. The metro area is shrinking and it isn't all from more deaths than births. There are more people leaving than coming. It would be good if that trend would reverse.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,812 times
I've found Pittsburgh to be somewhat of a paradox. One one hand, it is a unique city with nice topography, picturesque views, spectacular architechture (although much of it in need of restoration), all with a low cost of living. This is probably why the Pittsburgh region scores well in the "livability index".

Unfortunately, there is also an entitlement mentality in the region thanks to the labor union heritage. In western PA, the belief is that businesses exist primarily to create wealth for employees...not to create a profit for the owner of the business. The owner must pay whatever the employees demand (or else we'll strike!). Starting a business is a tremendous challenge and risk. Not suprisingly, few want to make the attempt in the Pittsburgh region, even though the region has some top-notch research universities. Add to that one of the highest state corporate net income taxes in the country, and you're left with an economy that isn't growing much. Many young people with college degrees have to move out of state to land their first jobs.

I think a local newspaper article headline summarized the Pittsburgh Paradox best: Pittsburgh is Most Livable and Most Leaveable.

Last edited by kpoeppel; 07-17-2007 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 PM

176 posts, read 767,301 times
well scottfleisher,

I'm glad I could be of assistance..I gave ya the best Mt. lebo pitch I could...But if your not ready for the suburbs yet..then ur not ready..

Good Luck in your choice and keep everyone posted...

Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 PM

25 posts, read 132,024 times
Default More Questions re: Mt. Lebo!

Our initial budget was $300, but it looks like you can get something nice (small) for around $200. Is this really the case, or are we fooling ourselves now (i.e., would this be a fixer-upper)?

Also, in Mt. Lebo, the neighborhood we liked was between Washington and Gilkeson (W of Washington, N of Gilkeson). Is this a good neighborhood?

It seems Mt. Lebo is back on the list...

Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM

176 posts, read 767,301 times
A good neighborhood is the understatement of the day...That is the area next to the Galleria...Very high end...In that area of Mt. Lebo you might be looking more into the 230k to 259k...

In the Mission Hills area, and Sunset Hills area...200k to 229k will get you a great house...Not a fixer upper...

Have to love the affordability of Pittsburgh....Me and my wife lived in Philly for 13 years before coming back to Pittsburgh, and I remember looking at homes when we were preparing to move back...Does the old adage KID IN CANDY STORE..pretty much say how you feel...

Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
A decent article attempting to explain the population issue in Pittsburgh is:

Forum: Young people are NOT leaving Pittsburgh

The part I found interesting was when they said 55% of those leaving the city are over 65 years old. It also says we really are not losing people in their 20's. It is a post-gazette article, so it might be biased, but it is at least good news for the future.

Personally, I am a guy in my 20's (with a degree in Computer Information Systems) dating a girl going to school to be a doctor, and I know we are both amazed at the opportunities for jobs. Granted these two fields are better than most in terms of job outlook but still...I don't think it is as bad as everyone says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh