Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 7,864 times

Advertisements

I had posted the below query on some on-going threads, but was advised that a separate thread would get me more helpful/ additional responses.[/SIZE]
-=-=-
I am looking at Mt. Lebanon -- relocating all the way from India.

We are an Indian family, coming to Pittsburgh coming July for one year only. I will be studying at the University of Pittsburgh campus + I will also be working 2-4 days a week at Canonsburg/ South Pointe. I have a son who will enter 1st grade - next July; while my wife does not plan to work.

I have been told by Pitts' residents that Mt. Lebanon is a great school district and is a fairly good place to live. So, my situation - apart from the above points is this:
a) I need a furnished + rented apartment / flat/ house/ studio in the below 1000$ / per month range;
b) The accommodation/ house should be close to a good elementary school so that its possible to walk;
c) The accommodation/ house should be close to public transport for going to the University (either T or Bus option or combinations - necessicity!!) - since I know a car is needed for (Canonsburg/ South Pointe).

As a family- we do not go too often to restaurants/ pubs/ clubs sort of place... so between a happening neighborhood v/s a locality that has a super market / necessicity stores close by... our small family would take option 2.

I look forward to your suggestions on:
i) Whether my above needs can be accommodated within the sub $1000 a month range at Mt. Lebanon and which streets/ locations within Mt Lebanon (if any) would fit my criteria AND
ii) If I should consider any other location - outside of Mt. Lebanon - that effectively fits my above needs. Especially, in views of a local resident - to try and find an effective balance for travel between University and Canonsburg/ South Pointe.

I may not be able to come down to Pitts just for checking the localities/ various suburbs before my July move, with family. Hence, I need as much help as possible on zeroing down on possible locations with the aim of quick settling down.

Many thanks to you wonderful folks... the postings on the board seem to have taken a lot of stress from my mind about moving to a foreign land.[/SIZE]

Regards,
Sandeep
-=-=-

I have been given some helpful advise by Forum posters (Rogcha 22/ Gnutella - Thanks a lot) --
i) Furnished apartments in Mt. Lebanon may not be within sub the $ 1000 range.
ii) Within Mt. Lebanon (while not necessarily within the sub $ 1,000 range) is Washington Road. I am not sure of how/ what are quick / convenient transit options from Washington Road to University of Pittsburgh & whether (possibly) the bus line may be eliminated by next year?
iii) Also consider Scott Township (for e.g. Washington Avenue) – which falls within Mt. Lebanon Area School District but would be more viable from a budget perspective. Scott Township is good for driving to Southpointe – However, I am not sure if Scott township has quick, frequent & convenient transit options into University of Pittsburgh.
iv) Apart from Mt. Lebanon, I have also been told to check Greentree Road- which seems to have a fair number of Indian residents and some Indian grocery stores. Here, the doubt is same - how convinient is Greentree road for quick/ frequent transport to University and how difficult is it to drive from Greentree road to Canonsburg?
v) Generally - Greentree, Banksville, Washington Road (Mt. Lebanon), Washington Ave (Scott Township), Bower Hill, and Cochran Roads -- all of these have frequent public transit service throughout the day.

So, the above is the crux of what other (extremely helpful) posters have advised.
Are there any further tips/ pointers that I should add to my search?

Once again, many thanks.

Regards,
Sandeep

Last edited by rathodsandeep; 11-15-2010 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Small font size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh