Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

I've seen some beautifully restored homes in Munhall listed for sale on the Coldwell Banker website. I did not visit that area when I was in Pitts last year. I wasn't even aware it existed. the school and crime stats I've found aren't terrible, but aren't the best either. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of the area? Some of the homes are outrageously ornate old places that have been painstakingly restored which implies gentrification. And the home price vary from under 100K to over 400k so I assume there are different areas within Munhall.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated. I'm used to city living and don't have to have the gated community sense of safety that some people find necessary. But, I don't want to feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when I walk the streets. I lived in San Francisco for 30 years and I currently live in a suburb that has had serious gang problems over the years. About 15 years ago our neighborhood had a pretty serious gang/drug problem. automatic weapon fire at night in the schoolyard that backs into my home. the city stepped in due to a strong community outcry and tore down the rental units a few blocks away where most of the gang-bangers lived. Habitat for Humanity built a few blocks of townhomes in their place and the neighborhood has been relatively calm since. I share this with you so you'll understand my comfort level with safety. I could have moved when the gang problem was at its worst, but I didn't. had the neighborhood continued to decline, I would have.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I share this with you so you'll understand my comfort level with safety.
At your safety level, you'll do just fine in parts of Munhall.

Just keep in mind that Homestead is terrible.

The farther out from Homestead you buy in Munhall, the better your comfort level will be.

In other words, don't buy near the Homestead border.

Pimps (aka PPG) has the largest list of what he considers areas to avoid purchasing homes.

You can find his list here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ces-avoid.html

Munhall isn't on the list.

Many people here consider quite a few of those places safe enough to visit.

But I think most agree that it's not a wise real estate investment to purchase a residence in most of the areas Pimps listed.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 PM

134 posts, read 563,154 times
The farther away from Homestead you get the better, from near ghetto to very nice. Just driving through the area will give a good idea. Main problem I see with the living in Munhall is that it feeds into is the same school as Homestead (Steel Valley). If schools are a factor, then I'd stear clear, if not then definitely investigate the parts near West Mifflin.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister brewski View Post
Main problem I see with the living in Munhall is that it feeds into is the same school as Homestead (Steel Valley). If schools are a factor, then I'd stear clear, if not then definitely investigate the parts near West Mifflin.
Good point! I wasn't thinking of school children when I posted my repsonse!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
At your safety level, you'll do just fine in parts of Munhall.

Just keep in mind that Homestead is terrible.

The farther out from Homestead you buy in Munhall, the better your comfort level will be.

In other words, don't buy near the Homestead border.

Pimps (aka PPG) has the largest list of what he considers areas to avoid purchasing homes.

You can find his list here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ces-avoid.html

Munhall isn't on the list.

Many people here consider quite a few of those places safe enough to visit.

But I think most agree that it's not a wise real estate investment to purchase a residence in most of the areas Pimps listed.
Thanks!

Just to clarify, the problems in my neighborhood were at their worst 15 years ago. the city's crackdown made a huge improvement. Most of the neighborhood is extremely safe, but there was a street that bordered the freeway with apartment blocks that brought in a bad crowd. that crowd got really bad when the police in a town just south of here cracked down on their dealers - they all moved to those apartments I mentioned and crime soared. Once the apartments were torn down and the Habitat for Humanity homes were built, we had no more of the spillover. I don't feel unsafe here anymore and lots of people (myself included) walk after dark. But, because of the history, our home values are lower than the westside of town and many people think it's a dangerous area. Perception vs. reality. Because I saw homes listed in Munhall for over 400k that people clearly had poured money into renovating, I figured there had to be good, relatively safe areas in Munhall. Is this the case?

Here are the addresses:

1102 Park Square
1101 McClure St
425 East 11th St

What are these streets like?

Thanks,

Julie

Old 07-27-2007, 02:29 PM

84 posts, read 284,734 times
I lived in Munhall for 3 years.... 4 years ago. Those addresses are all bordering Homestead, which is not the best area. Munhall does have some beautiful homes but if you look on a map, you want to stay south of the cemetary. If you find anymore addresses, drop me a line and give my input.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLN2603 View Post
I lived in Munhall for 3 years.... 4 years ago. Those addresses are all bordering Homestead, which is not the best area. Munhall does have some beautiful homes but if you look on a map, you want to stay south of the cemetary. If you find anymore addresses, drop me a line and give my input.

Thanks. I checked the map and it looked like the 11th ave property was furthest from Homestead. but, from what you're saying, I think I could find equally lovely properties for about the same price in safer areas.

Julie

Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 AM

84 posts, read 284,734 times
Yes... I just looked at those properties on the listings... $300,000???? Don't get me wrong, that is a beautiful historic area....But, honestly.... if I were going to spend that kind of money and wanted a historic home... I would look in other areas like Squirrel Hill... one reason is that you are surrounded my million dollar homes as compared to $10,000 homes in Homestead!

Coldwell Banker Real Estate Inc. Pittsburgh

There are more... I just picked a few for example.

There are also lots of other areas that have that type of historic homes, hopefully someone else on here can help out because I'm not familiar with all of them.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:09 AM

Julie,

Also check out the assesessment values on those homes you mentioned. You say they're for sale near 300k? Well, the 1102 Park Square home is assessed at 71k.

If you want more historic homes for a bargain price in a safer type area, try

Ben Avon: Ben Avon real estate and Ben Avon homes for sale — Trulia.com

Sewickly: Sewickley real estate and Sewickley homes for sale — Trulia.com

Check this Sewickly one out: Howard Hanna Real Estate

I'm not sure why you're specifically set on Munhall. Maybe you prefer something down in the South Hills area.

Many people here can give you some neighborhoods and townships that aren't the ususual suggestions like Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Fox Chapel, Mt. Lebanon. Quit frankly, I'm getting bored with suggesting those areas to people. Not everyone wants to live there. Pittsburgh has many other great neighborhoods too.

What's your price range?

Old 07-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Julie,

Also check out the assesessment values on those homes you mentioned. You say they're for sale near 300k? Well, the 1102 Park Square home is assessed at 71k.

If you want more historic homes for a bargain price in a safer type area, try

Ben Avon: Ben Avon real estate and Ben Avon homes for sale — Trulia.com

Sewickly: Sewickley real estate and Sewickley homes for sale — Trulia.com

Check this Sewickly one out: Howard Hanna Real Estate

I'm not sure why you're specifically set on Munhall. Maybe you prefer something down in the South Hills area.

Many people here can give you some neighborhoods and townships that aren't the ususual suggestions like Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Fox Chapel, Mt. Lebanon. Quit frankly, I'm getting bored with suggesting those areas to people. Not everyone wants to live there. Pittsburgh has many other great neighborhoods too.

What's your price range?
I'm not set on Munhall. I just was wondering about the disparity in prices within a seemingly small area. I hadn't seen anything about the neighborhood on this board so I figured I'd ask to find out what people knew about it. Is it anything like the Friendship area? I did see homes there when I was in Pittsburgh that were restored and many of the streets seemed quite safe. But there were blocks that were sketchy at best and it certainly seemed to border some less than desirable areas.

Take care,

Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh