Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:57 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,607 times

Advertisements

Despite some positive recruiting results head coach Dave Wannstedt has failed once again to deliver a championship season to Pitt. How much time should he be given to deliver such a year ? With the Backyard Brawl loss to WVU it look's like another non Big East championship year. Should coach Dave be let go ? If so whom would you name head coach ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 01:05 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
As a Husker, I can tell you that your athletic director has a sure fire method to turn a program around.

1. Fire a decent coach.
2. Hire a terrible coach.
3. Get fired along with the coach.
4. Let somebody competent come in to hire a good coach.

Good luck!

Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,745 times
I've thought about this for what feels like an eternity...honestly, I know the recruiting is slightly better..but is he REALLY even all that much of an improvement over Walt Harris even? I like Dave and want him to win, but he's honestly not going to take the program beyond 6-8 wins each year. Dave is good enough to get the program over the hump and give it some notoriety, however he absolutely SUCKS at winning the big games or holding any consistency at all. I'd say to get rid of him, but what are the odds that we'd be able to get somebody even as good as Dave to come in for the job? Pitt isn't even as big of a program as WVU these days and I don't think we could really snag somebody better than Dave, as sad as that sounds. He's not terrible yet he's not great either...he's just "Dave", and these are "Dave's Panthers". Pretty much a lock for a 7-5 or 8-4 season year in and year out with some contention for a very, very weak Big East Conference's title.

And even worse yet...after all these years, why in the world hasn't a student section plastered themselves with tacky 80s moustaches and started a cheering section named something like "The Mighty Moustaches"? I mean this IS college football afterall, so what gives with not cashing in on the obvious?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
No - do not fire Dave Wannstedt. The program is still on an upward swing, a slow, painful, upward swing that is.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:21 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Why so many Italians on Pitt's football team?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
No - do not fire Dave Wannstedt. The program is still on an upward swing, a slow, painful, upward swing that is.
As a Pitt alum, and as a resident of Colorado for years, I can tell you, that's what they kept saying about Dan Hawkins, until about a month ago. Now whether his firing was a good idea, we won't know for a while, but sometimes you do just have to make a decision and go with it. The Buffs have done better in the last couple games.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:33 PM

Maybe those that don't want Dave around will get lucky, and he'll resign. He could probably get an assitant coaching job in the NFL pretty easily.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
I say fire Wannstedt. I've patiently waited for his "set of recruits" and I think he's worse than Walt Harris. Well, that's not fair. Walt Harris was ok, but Wannstedt is not a head coach, professional or college. This is a weak Big East this year with a weak WV and the Panthers can't beat them or even win the conference. We should have known when he had those abysmal years at the beginning. He only understands "his game". A good coach can read his own team as well as the opposition. That means that a good coach can pick the right offensive and defensive styles to suit his team's talents as well as the opponent's. Even Walt Harris was smart enough to know to give up on the Spread Offense when it wasn't working and he salvaged a season and won a bowl.

There are plenty of coaches to hire out there. Shoot, bring back Harris as an offense coordinator or even a quarterback coach. He's good at that.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I say fire Wannstedt. I've patiently waited for his "set of recruits" and I think he's worse than Walt Harris. Well, that's not fair. Walt Harris was ok, but Wannstedt is not a head coach, professional or college. This is a weak Big East this year with a weak WV and the Panthers can't beat them or even win the conference. We should have known when he had those abysmal years at the beginning. He only understands "his game". A good coach can read his own team as well as the opposition. That means that a good coach can pick the right offensive and defensive styles to suit his team's talents as well as the opponent's. Even Walt Harris was smart enough to know to give up on the Spread Offense when it wasn't working and he salvaged a season and won a bowl.

There are plenty of coaches to hire out there. Shoot, bring back Harris as an offense coordinator or even a quarterback coach. He's good at that.
The Pitt offense lit up a very good WV defense for most of the day, so I think they actually need more help on Pitt's defense.

Sunseri -sophomore
Lewis - sophomore
Graham - sophomore
Baldwin - junior
Shanahan - sophomore

At the start of the year, they had 3 new starters on the offensive line and at QB.

Next year they are going to be nearly unstoppable on offense.

I can see why people think Wannstedt should be fired, and can't begrudge that opinion. I think he deserves one more year though. The university could learn from the Steelers in that long-term stability in coaching leads to long-term overall success.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:21 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Pitt was a pre-season top 15 team. That usually projects to a one or two loss team that is headed to a major bowl. They just lost their fifth game, and will be 6-6 if they lose at Cincinnati next week. There was a consensus that Pitt DOES have talent. They have two very good running backs. Their defensive line was supposed to be great. Granted, they did lose pro prospect Greg Romeus for the year. Still, they under achieve and cannot win the ones that will take the program to the next level.

On the other hand, basketball coach Jamie Dixon took a bunch of young and inexperienced players to another sweet sixteen performance last season. They continuously go into hostile enviroments and succeed. I do understand that they have trouble getting past the Swseet Sixteen, but that has more to do with a lack of a bonafide superstar than the fact that Pitt puts a bunch of good but not spectacular recruits on the floor. However, Pitt hoops is getting more high caliber recruits and it is only a matter of time before Pitt gets to a Final Four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: