Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So build one.
No...let's pick on successful institutions and insist that they must offer certain services to certain neighborhoods at a significant financial loss. It's the politically correct thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Wow, I caught a couple of BIG fish tonight!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
Sounds like some posters are picking quotes right from this article:

UPMC announces $618 million profit, fends off critics - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

$618 million in profits yearly for a "non-profit" is obscene. Also, seeing the condition they've left some hospitals (such as Mercy, yay hostile takeover!), it's quite laughable when some people say they're reinvesting all of that back into the community. UPMC executives are some of the richest people in the state, not too shabby for a non-profit.

Perhaps they're investing that money back into the community by opening hospitals in Ireland, Italy, and Cyprus? Oh by the way, the deal they struck in Italy has the Italians paying for UPMC controlled hospitals via tax dollars:

UPMC gives hope, draws fire in Italy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Maybe they're reinvesting that money by spending 2 million in lobbying?

Lobbying Spending Database-UPMC Health System, 2009 | OpenSecrets

Or how about another $10 million magically given away to individuals/organizations with ties to company executives?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_682244.html

Boy, this sure sounds like the work of a for profit, multi-national corporation to me.

Once again, good for Mayor Fetterman to stick up for his community.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 AM

296 posts, read 560,534 times
Again, could someone explain to me why there needs to be a hospital in Braddock?

How many people ever walked to Braddock Hospital for treatment?

How many people got transportation (public/private) to Braddock Hospital?

How difficult is it for people to now go 5 or so miles via bus or private transportation to McKeesport, Pittsburgh, or Monroeville?

It's not like it was the only hospital in the region and now people have to go 40 miles for medical care, it's literally a half hour on the 61B @ $2.50 or whatever it is to Oakland.

Oh, and if someone is really in bad shape, I am assuming they still have....ambulances?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
Again, could someone explain to me why there needs to be a hospital in Braddock?

How many people ever walked to Braddock Hospital for treatment?

How many people got transportation (public/private) to Braddock Hospital?

How difficult is it for people to now go 5 or so miles via bus or private transportation to McKeesport, Pittsburgh, or Monroeville?

It's not like it was the only hospital in the region and now people have to go 40 miles for medical care, it's literally a half hour on the 61B @ $2.50 or whatever it is to Oakland.

Oh, and if someone is really in bad shape, I am assuming they still have....ambulances?
We're talking about mostly elderly people who don't have the means of driving and public transportation is nearly non-existent in that area. What if they had to go for some reason, non-emergency related but didn't have the means to drive 5 miles to the nearest hospital? They could call a taxi but you know how reliable they are in the city. That's like saying if the last grocery store or the last bank closed down there, which unfortunately happened at one point in Braddock. I guess convenience isn't important to large non-profit corporations. Who the hell wants to spend a half hour on a bus just to get to Oakland? I'd rather stay home and die than wait in those cramped sardine cans. Does it make sense for an elderly person to take a bus 5 miles to Giant Eagle or a taxi which can charge an arm and a leg? I guarantee that UPMC has only chosen to operate an urgent care center there because of the backlash of the community and beyond if they decided to leave Braddock entirely, but they will probably close that anyway once the hospital in Monroeville opens for business.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 12-02-2010 at 06:21 AM..

Old 12-02-2010, 06:11 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,156 times
I know the closing of the hospital was a huge loss to thier community, but do they really need a hospital? There isn't a hospital in every community. They need something for jobs and to help boost the economy of the community, but now the UPMC thing is like beating a dead horse in a dead town.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Wow, I caught a couple of BIG fish tonight!
Well I laughed a few minutes ago when I read your post. Folks, read this again:

Quote:
The people of Braddock deserve a hospital that they can walk to if they're seriously injured.
Can you walk to a hospital if you're seriously injured?

Sheesh.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Well I laughed a few minutes ago when I read your post. Folks, read this again:

Can you walk to a hospital if you're seriously injured?

Sheesh.

I think Gnutella was being sarcastic, of course you can't walk to a hospital if you're seriously injured without the possibility of bleeding to death or becoming unconscious.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,185,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I know the closing of the hospital was a huge loss to thier community, but do they really need a hospital? There isn't a hospital in every community. They need something for jobs and to help boost the economy of the community, but now the UPMC thing is like beating a dead horse in a dead town.
No one is saying they need a hospital, just an urgent care center.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
Years ago, while thinking I was having a heart attack, I drove myself to Passavant aka Passaway Hospital in the North Hills. It can happen n'at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh