Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:40 PM

178 posts, read 399,568 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge, huge, huge Pens fan. And I have to say, the Pens get a metric sh*t ton of support in this City. Nothing will ever eclipse the Steelers, but the Penguins get a ton of respect in this town.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Congrats on the move, Reston! It's great to have someone with your enthusiasm for the city here.
Thanks for the welcome! I don't understand why my "enthusiasm" is so unique, though. Pittsburgh is "America's Most Livable City" for a reason. If you want to appreciate Pittsburgh, just move to a place like Northern Virginia.

Quote:
The Pens are gaining popularity in the city, but during this time of year, it's all about the Steelers. Many people won't start paying attention to the Pens until January. You'll see a noticeable difference, especially when the playoffs get here in the Spring.
Good to know! I'm a HUGE hockey fan, but I see very little Penguins merchandise being sold or sported around here while just about everyone doesn't shut up about the Steelers. I would really appreciate it if Pittsburgh was a big sports city instead of just a big football city.

Quote:
There should be a Papa John's pizza on Centre Ave in North Oakland/Shadyside if you want to try there too. They were always hiring there back in the 90's.
Thanks for the tip! We'll see what comes of the other opportunity in Oakland, but considering he only asked if I had delivered pizzas before and then just put my phone number in a drawer I don't think my chances are very good. I also just applied at a Downtown hotel to be a night auditor. The woman asked if I had been a night auditor before and didn't seem to look favorably upon me when I told her I had not. Why are jobs so specific in this town? For the night auditor position I was a Federal auditor the past year-and-half and have years of experience working with the public, resolving issues, and multi-tasking with a professional demeanor. All those traits combined SHOULD qualify me for the position, regardless if I was specifically a "night auditor" by title or not in the past. I've also noticed many positions for "entry-level accountants" in this town require 3-5 years of experience? Since when is 3-5 years of experience "entry-level?" I'm confident SOMETHING will come through for me, but some employers seem to be taking advantage of our desperate economic crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
I'm a huge, huge, huge Pens fan. And I have to say, the Pens get a metric sh*t ton of support in this City. Nothing will ever eclipse the Steelers, but the Penguins get a ton of respect in this town.
Glad to hear it! I was afraid people here only cared about the Steelers!

Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,387 times
With all your enthusiasm, you should apply for a job with the convention center or the tourist bureau, or even a front desk clerk at one of the hotels downtown.

As far as the pizza delivery jobs, you are right, it don't take much knowledge on delivering pizzas, it is knowing how to dodge the bullets and avoid being held up at gunpoint during deliveries, which seems to happen frequently in the East End IIRC.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
With all your enthusiasm, you should apply for a job with the convention center or the tourist bureau, or even a front desk clerk at one of the hotels downtown.
I like the way you think! I actually did just walk back-and-forth to Downtown and applied for a position as a night auditor (fancy title for overnight front desk attendant). I am hoping it comes through for me, but I'm pretty sure the woman who would be interviewing me was the one who retrieved and accepted my application and she didn't seem thrilled that I didn't have any prior experience as a "night auditor" (although I did have extensive experience as an auditor and with customer service). I will see what positions, if any, may be available with the Convention & Visitors' Bureau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
As far as the pizza delivery jobs, you are right, it don't take much knowledge on delivering pizzas, it is knowing how to dodge the bullets and avoid being held up at gunpoint during deliveries, which seems to happen frequently in the East End IIRC.
I'm really torn on this. I'm nervous about the potential of being mugged as well as wondering how my front-wheel-drive Mazda3 will handle these steep hills if I have to make deliveries during ice storms. I'd much prefer a position in retail sales, specialty sales, retail management, in the restaurant/hospitality industry, etc. where I'd be out of harm's way.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM

354 posts, read 475,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I'm really torn on this. I'm nervous about the potential of being mugged as well as wondering how my front-wheel-drive Mazda3 will handle these steep hills if I have to make deliveries during ice storms. I'd much prefer a position in retail sales, specialty sales, retail management, in the restaurant/hospitality industry, etc. where I'd be out of harm's way.
This is sound logic. If you ever get a pizza delivered when its snowing on a February night, you just have to feel bad for the delivery guy.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
This is sound logic. If you ever get a pizza delivered when its snowing on a February night, you just have to feel bad for the delivery guy.
Yeah. On the rare occasion I've personally had something delivered to me during such inclement weather I've always factored that in with a slightly higher tip to help ease my conscience for making someone risk life and limb to bring me artery-clogging goodness!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Re: walking on Bigelow, not sure why cars coming toward you should move out of the curb lane when you're on a sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk (can't remember) then you shouldn't be walking there. Recommend Liberty instead, although plenty of speeding on that too (not quite as bad and wide open as Bigelow because there are lights every few blocks) or just on over to Penn.

Pens get plenty of love, would be considered quite fanatical except that the Steelers love is so over the top.

Go to Pamela's for another Pittsburgh institution, not so many Primanni sammiches all the time.

I must either not notice the litter or just have never seen the Disney World-clean cities. Seriously, I don't see it everywhere, but you walked through some places I've probably only been through in a car. I don't run into it downtown.

And no, I dunno why the hell people pull up too far all the time on Herron Ave either. It's stupid. You can't turn while the light is red, so it's useless to be that far up. I have to think people who come through there regularly know this and the main offenders are those unfamiliar with the intersection.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
About the Penguins comment, the Steelers may be more popular among older people (50 and up) but I think the Pens are just as if not more popular among many in the 30 and under crowd with all their promotions and student rushing. I'm young and know many people my age who get more excited over the pens than the steelers.
So do many "older people"... like me and my husband. Enough so that we got in on tickets by sharing 4 season tickets with 3 other people over 50!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
And no, I dunno why the hell people pull up too far all the time on Herron Ave either. It's stupid. You can't turn while the light is red, so it's useless to be that far up.
I hate that intersection. It's a goofy five-sided thing and I almost died there once.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I hate that intersection. It's a goofy five-sided thing and I almost died there once.
It is, and I don't doubt you almost died there. I know it well because I went through there almost daily over the last couple years. I have the light cycle memorized, so I knew how long I could sit on Paulowna and read the paper or mail or whatever before the light turned green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh