Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:28 AM

7 posts, read 24,486 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share information or experiences about the Avonworth SD? I know it's a smaller district, and I know there are other districts that are more highly regarded. We're moving up there in Feb and have 2 kids in elem school, plus 1 at home. We love the Ben Avon/Ben Avon Heights area, but are open to other areas with a short commute to the hospitals downtown. Any words of wisdom or feedback would be very much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,064 times
A few years ago, Ohio Township offered some significant tax incentives for the purchase of new homes within the Avonworth School district, and this seemed to spur development. Taxes are high to support this smaller school district, and the educational quality is generally considered on a much lower tier than some of the surrounding/ nearby districts (North Allegheny, Pine-Richland, Quaker Valley). This may not seem like a formidable obstacle now, but it may be more pronounced if you ever need to sell. Another issue that surrounds the Avonworth District is the often discussed proposed forced school merger legislation that always seems to surface when state budget time arises. It has never come to fruition, but when school pension costs skyrocket in 2012, I would not be surprised that the consolidation of school districts moves even closer to the front burner. It has often been hinted that Avonworth could eventually be forced to merge with Northgate. Not sure if this answers your question, but hopefully, it helps.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
I wouldn't be afraid of sending my kids to school there. We have friends that live in Ben Avon and they like it a lot.

A question about the "downtown hospitals". There really isn't a hospital downtown. Mercy is uptown. AGH is on the northside. Either one would be a great commute from Ben Avon. However, if you mean a hospital in Oakland, then I would look in Aspinwall because the commute to Oakland is a little better. At least in my opinion.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Well, he'll be at both Presby and Mercy. I guess I'm confusing the "downtown" part b/c I haven't figured it all out yet. Sorry.

I've looked at Aspinwall, but have heard others express concern regarding Rt. 28.

In speaking with several people familiar with Pittsburgh, none of them have even heard of Ben Avon. I know Avonworth isn't the biggest and flashiest school district, but we know that our kids will do well in almost any competent school environment, regardless of district test scores. We really like the short commute and the nicer, older homes.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 AM

I used to live in Aspinwall and loved it. Sure 28 is a little rough at times but if you time it right it is an awesome commute. My guess is that your husband doesn't work 9 to 5 so traffic would not be that bad.

I agree with the you the homes in Ben Avon are great. My worry would be getting from Ben Avon to Oakland/Presby. Uptown is just east of downtown, Oakland is even further east.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:20 PM

Rob (and others),
Would you have any other neighborhood suggestions? Our priorities are:
1. short (20 minutes or less) commute to Mercy/Presby
2. good public schools
3. older homes with charm in the $300-400k range

Old 12-12-2010, 03:56 PM

809 posts, read 2,408,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieno View Post
Rob (and others),
Would you have any other neighborhood suggestions? Our priorities are:
1. short (20 minutes or less) commute to Mercy/Presby
2. good public schools
3. older homes with charm in the $300-400k range
Have you considered private schools or a magnet program in the city publics?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:07 PM

Really not interested in private schools. We don't know much about the magnet program. My husband worries that a strong magnet school in a weak system is still in a weak system (and will have the same problems as the non-magnet schools). Also, I've read that it can be tough to navigate the right channels in the city school system. We don't have magnet schools where we are now, though, so please feel free to correct me!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieno View Post
Well, he'll be at both Presby and Mercy. I guess I'm confusing the "downtown" part b/c I haven't figured it all out yet. Sorry.

I've looked at Aspinwall, but have heard others express concern regarding Rt. 28.

In speaking with several people familiar with Pittsburgh, none of them have even heard of Ben Avon. I know Avonworth isn't the biggest and flashiest school district, but we know that our kids will do well in almost any competent school environment, regardless of district test scores. We really like the short commute and the nicer, older homes.
It's easy to confuse Mercy with being " downtown" as it is so close to downtown and the arena, don't feel bad.

Construction on Rt 28 is to continue until 2014. To get from Ben Avon to Mercy is very quick on I-279, you would get off near the (old ) Mellon Arena. Mercy shuttles employees during the daytime from the arena about 4 blocks away. You can get to Oakland from 279 as well. Or you can also take Rt 65. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to Oakland on 65 when traffic is relatively light from Bellevue, which is about 2 miles away from Ben Avon.
Avonworth is a very small but good school district.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 AM

With your budget, your desire for an older home with character and your preference for a short commute, I think Ben Avon is great choice. Frankly, I am not sure what else is out there for you. Edgewood has some very nice older homes in your price range but the schools are awful. Aspinwall is nice but it is very hard to find a big older home in your price range because people stay in the big ones longer. Fox Chapel, at least the part close to Route 28 north of Delafield Road with the older homes is more expensive. You would probably have to spend over 450,000. Right now there are about 5 houses for sale in this area and they are price from the high fours to the high fives. This is the part of Fox Chapel that I like the best. Mt. Lebanon has a lot of older homes but the commute to Oakland is a little tricky. To minimize the commute you can look in the Mission Hills neighborhood which is right along the Dormont border. There are some nice older homes along Route 19 in the North Hills (Ross Twp.?) but they are below your price point. I haven't really looked at these I just know them from driving along the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh